11 posts Page 1 of 2
Seems like a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway :roll: . I have always used a non-dairy creamer in my coffee called coffee mate, its by carnation. It's "non-dairy" but haha right there on the ingredients it tells you that it has "some dairy products" Actually--the ingredients list pretty much is awful I guess, but when you look at the nutrition label for the nonfat version--0% sat fats.--label listed below. The question is OMS wise---yes, no, never, maybe, sometimes, go with soy? :?

(AND BY THE WAY---SHOULDN'T NON-DAIRY MEAN THERE'S NO DAIRY IN THERE?????? :roll: )

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 tsp (2g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 10

Calories From Fat 0

Total Fat 0g

Saturated Fat 0g

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 0mg

Total Carbohydrate 2g

Sugars 0g

Protein 0g

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Not a significant source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.

INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, VEGETABLE OIL (PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COCONUT OR PALM KERNEL, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN)**, SUGAR, SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)***, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE (MODERATES COFFEE ACIDITY), AND LESS THAN 2% OF COLOR ADDED, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (PREVENTS OIL SEPARATION)**, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE, ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SALT, ANNATTO COLOR.** Adds a trivial amount of fat.
*** Not a source of lactose.
I don't understand how it has 0g fat and saturated fat when it contains partially hydrogenated (a process that makes fat more saturated) coconut or palm oil (notorious for being "stealth" saturated fat in the form of unspecified "vegetable oil". Guessing it must go through an extra processing stage to remove the saturated fat.

Could you use soy milk in coffee instead?
0 fat per serving and a single serving is 2 grams !
It has nastey fat ingredients and has dairy so it is a no.
Plus in America they can say zero fat per serving if it is half a gram or less. So this could be as much as 25 grams fat per 100 and they can get away with it.

Perhaps you might find other taste substitutes :-)
Yeah--pretty much figured. Actually--pretty much knew you'd say that. :lol:

About 2 days before diagnosis I had bought this big container of the stuff and decided that I'd go 100% OMS except for my spoon of coffeemate in coffee until the container was gone then I'd switch to soymilk. I got to the bottom of the container today :o had my first taste of denial trying to make the words "non-dairy creamer" be worth something LMBO (B substituted for A for the sake of politeness) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know that stuff. It's the worst of the worst. Not only does it actually contain milk protein, it contains hydrogenated fat and is almost all saturated fat. It's a statistical legal trick that allows them to be able to put what they do on the label. Good for you for wondering about it. Throw it away - no human should ingest that ever. SoyMilk makes a good coffee creamer as well, trader Joes has a soy creamer that's pretty good.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Yucky yuck get rid! Use soy milk is my advice!

Take Care

phil
http://www.justgiving.com/phil-king5. OMS 2012
"Don't Cry - Laugh" - Roy Castle ( TV Personality and Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation)
"If you are bored you must be a boring person!" Ina Sansom (My Gran)
I can sympathize. Giving up creamer in my coffee was the hardest! Now I am free because I just drink black coffee. No more worries about being with family, friends or at restaurants without almond milk. Try to reduce your amount by a TINY bit each day and in a few months your coffee will be black.

good luck!!
Or just go cold turkey; the secret is to only have good quality coffee. While out have a long black made well and it may take a while to find who makes the best coffee. If it is bitter and nasty try another, it should be smooth and sweet. You can also have a soy cappuccino when out and that is usually ok.

At home you will also have to experiment to find the right grounds either made in a machine or plunger. Once you find one you like you will wonder why you ever had milk.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I HEAR you! I'm currently near the bottom of my favorite Coffeemate Coconut creamer (just starting OMS) and am currently grieving!!

although....all this talk about coffee....can we still have it? I was thinking of switching to decaf, just so I could continue my morning ritual...is one mugful a day OK?

Thanks!
Tracy
Coffee is fine.

I've learnt to enjoy a short black coffee, always good quality coffee. With sugar. All OMS-friendly!
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
11 posts Page 1 of 2