5 posts Page 1 of 1
I am gluten intolerant and diabetic, insulin dependant since the age of 3. Finding it difficult to give up cheese. I do not eat a lot of it but am occassionally missing it.
Unfortunately not Henry. This is from the Diet FAQs

Does the goat/sheep dairy carry the same proteins as cow's causing the same immune reaction?
They all appear to contain the offending protein butyrophilin, as per this old piece of research:
Lipid globule membranes were isolated from human and bovine milk and from the milk of sheep, goat, pig, rat and guinea pig, and their polypeptide compositions were analyzed. The major polypeptides with molecular weights similar to that of bovine butyrophilin were separated by gel electrophoresis, isolated and characterized with respect to isoelectric point, molecular weight, immunological cross-reactivity and peptide composition after proteolytic cleavage. We show that in all species examined these proteins are similar to bovine butyrophilin in (i) their relative insolubility in buffers of low and high ionic strength and in non-denaturing detergents, (ii) the occurrence of several isoelectric variants, and (iii) patterns of peptides obtained by protease digestion. It is concluded that closely related proteins are major constituents of the cytoplasmic coat structures associated with milk lipid globule membranes of many species, and we propose the name butyrophilins for this group of proteins. Bovine and human butyrophilins are glycosylated with relatively large amounts of glucosamine, mannose, glucose and galactose but little fucose, sialic acids or galactosamine. Most if not all of the sugar residues are associated with an acetone-soluble peptide fragment of Mr 12000-16000 focusing at about pH 4.0. We suggest that this fragment contains a membrane-spanning peptide sequence and is involved in the attachment of the cytoplasmic coat to the membrane of the milk lipid globule.
Reference
Heid HW, Winter S, Bruder G, Keenan TW, Jarasch ED. Butyrophilin, an apical plasma membrane-associated glycoprotein characteristic of lactating mammary glands of diverse species. Biochim Biophys Acta 1983;728:228-38
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... rces/FAQs/
Thanks Wendy.
Hello Henry

I used to really miss cheese in the beginning (OMS for 18 months now) but I found that nutritional yeast gives a flavour which I like and you might find useful. It's gluten free and there is a version rich in B12. I use it making vegan pesto without parmesan and in 'cheese' sauces in fish pie and pasta dishes and biscuits. You can sprinkle it on or in any food to give a savoury taste. If you're interested I can share some recipes on here. I haven't recreated the bite or chewy, melting, properties of cheese, or a 'blue' or goat's cheese though!

This is one of many suppliers (that I've never used actually) but it does have a nutritional breakdown which you might need to see if you're diabetic:

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/mari ... /?ladid=uk

Take care, Sue
MS dx 1989, OMS Jan 2013
you should check out Myoko Schinner's Vegan Cheese book. I have made some awesome cheeses out of that book, perfectly OMS friendly (the advantage is that you control the ingredients and the amounts, as opposed to store bought vegan cheese).
Some are a bit complicated to make, but some are dead simple. (I think I did post the nut parmesan recipe on this board...)
http://www.artisanveganlife.com/
Guy
PS. and yes, some of her cheese melt just like the real thing
5 posts Page 1 of 1