13 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello again!

Here in the UK waitrose do a delicious low in sat fat, vegan, coconut yoghurt - well it isnt their brand, but they stock it. I am a little confused, I have searched the food and oils and diet pages and unless I am missing something I can't see anything about coconut yoghurts. I know coconut milk if high in sat fat isn't good, but if it is low in sat fat is that ok? And coconut can be really good for you my nutritionist friend is telling me...

Any thoughts welcome!

Hope all of you are well out there.

Mel :)
It has coconut and is a processed substance in a pot so for me it is out on two counts.
There is a lot of hype around coconut I ignore it.
There is a reasonably recent thread on coconut on here with quite a lot of posts.
Looking online I can't see this yogurt in waitrose.
melmcg32 wrote: Hello again!

Here in the UK waitrose do a delicious low in sat fat, vegan, coconut yoghurt - well it isnt their brand, but they stock it. I am a little confused, I have searched the food and oils and diet pages and unless I am missing something I can't see anything about coconut yoghurts. I know coconut milk if high in sat fat isn't good, but if it is low in sat fat is that ok? And coconut can be really good for you my nutritionist friend is telling me...

Any thoughts welcome!

Hope all of you are well out there.

Mel :)

What does the nutrition panel say?
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Hi Mel,

Coconut yoghurt sounds yummy! I haven't seen it,but I suppose it's a question of checking the ingredients.

Veg I have thought this about how processed they are for the soya yoghurts I buy (alpro). And the sugar content. Do you eat yoghurt at all? If so which ones? I'm not a fan of the natural soya yoghurt as it is sweetened and I was looking for a plain yoghurt to go with my curries......

Cheers Lynne x
Hi
I personally don't tolerate Soya so don't do yohurts.
Some yogurts don't look too bad but some vegan food is full of well just full of stuff.
I guess it depends on what the ingredients are.
Alpro is I recall when I did eat it very sweet.
Hello there.

The yoghurts are made by Co-Yo, they aren't waitrose own brand. Yes, there is sugar, but natural if that is possible and low in fat and vegan. Natural cocoa in the chocolate one too! :)

I'm not planning on having them often as yes, processed, yes, sugar, but also expensive at £1.99 a go.

I have a friend who is a nutritionist and coconut in low fat forms is actually very good for you like many things in small amounts. There is a lot of scientific evidence to prove this, but I am not a nutritionist so I leave that to them.

Alpro soya yogs - I am intolerant to soya so I avoid it, but those are quite sugary yep. However, small quantities and all that. I don't like the way soya is farmed, I stopped having it for that reason then had bloods done for intolerances and don't mind as it supports my ethics over the farming of it. That said, my ethics around food are a bit hit and miss, its hard to do it all... :)

I'm gearing up, once my study is over in late August, to learn how to make my own stuff, then I know exactly what is going in to it.

Best wishes to you all and thanks again for replying, its really helping being on here.

Mel x
This was the post you might find interesting
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5168
Coconut is not a healthy food for PwMS - even Swank excluded coconut products. That is why coconut is listed on the What Not To Eat page.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... ot-to-Eat/

It can get a bit difficult at times with all the claims and counter-claims, especially about coconut oil. Our approach is based on the evidence about saturated fat being a key driver of central nervous system inflammation, and coconut products are unfortunately full of saturated fat. We don't believe it is worth the risk.

Looking at the nutrition information for Co Yo yoghurts, there is 13 grams of saturated fat per 100 grams.
Mel if you start making it, please could you let me know how you make your own yoghurt - especially soya free as I'm not a massive fan if soya products (really bloats me out) but haven't found any other yoghurts yet.

I may sound naive but I'm not aware of the soya farming issues.....what is the issue?

Thanks for clearing up coconut question mark veg and Wendy

Thanks
Lynne x
Hi Lynne

I had reservations about using Rainforest farmed soya too, but I was reassured by Alpro's claims in their FAQ so I do use and enjoy it; I haven't had the bloat response that others report:

Does Alpro buy soya beans from the Amazon Rainforest?

No. We source our beans directly from farms where soya beans have been grown for many years, mainly France and subject to usual crop rotations. None of these farms are on land that has been reclaimed or deforested. In the past where we did source our beans from Brazil, they were also not from rainforest or deforested areas and were in line with a strict code of conduct set out in the Basel criteria, which ensures beans are cultivated with respect for the environment, people and responsible use of raw materials and agricultural products. We only buy from farmers that we have direct contact with and never on the open market to ensure a full traceability system from the harvesting of the bean through to the final finished product.

Source of Alpro FAQ is here:

http://www.alpro.com/uk/faq

I don't know if this is Mel's only concern about use of soya. I do think we're on the side of the good guys in many respects now as we must contribute less, than hitherto, to the alleged devastation caused by extensive farming of animals for food (e.g. global warmning, from methane, from belching cows) but I agree with her that ethics of food production are a nightmare to weigh up.

Take care, Sue
MS dx 1989, OMS Jan 2013
13 posts Page 1 of 2