5 posts Page 1 of 1
Coping v well with the OMS diet (no symptoms since my diagnosis 18 months ago when I changed to this diet. I also take a high dosage (5,000iu) of Vit D3 and a tablespoon of organic cold pressed flaxseed oil daily.
Can anyone enlighten me pls on these questions:
1. Is it alright to have a bit of skimmed milk occasionally (2 or 3 times a week) in decaf coffee (I don’t drink caffeine of course)?
2. Is it alright to cook with coconut butter occasionally? I’ve been using extra virgin olive oil mixed with water (to keep the temperature down) but would prefer coconut butter.
3. Is it alright to use coconut oil and organic eggs that are the main ingredients of my favourite Lush shampoo, as well as using a coconut or palm oil natural body lotion? These are are chemical free which is why I’d like to continue using them with confidence.
The info I've read isn't v. clear to me so thanks for any thoughts, Dina
Hi Dina,
What was your last vitamin D test results?
I take 10000 a day during winter and during summer depending on sun exposure I take bettween 1000-5000ic a day. My current vit D level is 200 nmol/L which I am very pleased with.

I'm afraid the answers to your other questions is no.
Milk whether skim or not when in the body resembles our own cells and the body gets confused and doesn't know what are friendly cells and what are not, it dose an attack thing.. Not sure the right terms to explain it but in a nut shell.. It's no to any dairy including goat milk. Soy and oat milk are fine though.

No to cooking with coconut butter or milk or eating any coconut.
I cook food in sauces, or fry with a little water and often steam fish and veggies.
No to cooking even with olive oil, although some people bake cakes and things using olive oil at a very low temperature.

Shampoos made in the way you described I believe are ok.
Using those products on your skin however are a no, as they get absorbed through the skin.
Olive oil on skin is ok but I personally wouldn't use coconut products, others may disagree with me though.
I use Avenna as my moisturiser I have dry skin and although not perfect it's what I can afford.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
There are some great recipes on this site .
All the best.
Ax
Thanks Blueberry, appreciate your advice.
Can't recall my Vit D3 level but, at my last check-up, was told that it was very good and to stay on the dose I'm taking.
Gosh, need to research more on how best to roast veggies and fish that I like to do, without coconut butter that I thought was fine. I also steam but sometimes cooking in the oven makes a nice change.
Have a nice day, Dina
I agree with blueberry 100%. I add two points.

yes people do bake with olive oil but that should read extra virgin olive oil not more processed stuff. Again – deep moderation both of quantity and of temperature. Myself I have always been an enthusiastic cook, but never been able to bake anything more than pizza! Now that I've bought a granite pizza stone to make better pizza (cheese free, like the original Italian version), I'm looking to make my own bread too but I'm still at the very start of that learning curve, so I've no advice on baking, because I'm useless.

As to putting stuff on your skin (isn't your scalp also your skin) I read a post by Wendy that interested me greatly as she is using our boon companion extra-virgin coldpressed flax seed oil as a moisturiser too, so spurred on by that over the few hot days of "summer" we had here in UK, I put it in a spray bottle kept it in the fridge and tried it and it's fantastic – now I can get omega-3 by mouth, AND omega-3 absorbed through the skin! What could be better! Well I'll tell you because I've just taken my little spray bottle out of the fridge and given it a go (I don't often moisturise – I live in the UK so don't get much sun, alas, and also I'm a chap, and also I have always had really soft skin): the answer is – a more effective spray bottle/atomiser!

All the best – keep strong!

Farhad
Farhad
OMS Jul 2014, dx '97-'98, 1st symptoms '91
London, UK
Dina wrote: Thanks Blueberry, appreciate your advice.
Can't recall my Vit D3 level but, at my last check-up, was told that it was very good and to stay on the dose I'm taking.
Gosh, need to research more on how best to roast veggies and fish that I like to do, without coconut butter that I thought was fine. I also steam but sometimes cooking in the oven makes a nice change.
Have a nice day, Dina

Next vitamin d test you get done ask for a copy of the result. Or better yet ring them up and get your actual result ( btw different countries measure it differently get the measurement too)
Before I knew better when the receptionist at the doctors called to give me my vitamin D results she said it was normal and hung up.
When I next got tested I was once again told it was normal, and before she could hang up this time I asked her to fax me the results. My level was 80 nmol/L
It was normal to my doctor but not the result a person with m.s wants.
I'm now 200nmol/L and haven't had an attack since being in the higher range
5 posts Page 1 of 1