9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
It's been a long time.

I was at a friend's house for dinner last night. All the menu parfait, low fat stuff, delicious.

My bad surprise came from the label of the wine :

"Contains sulphits (quite common in wine), ALBUMINE and CASEIN !

Casein (from Latin caseus) is the predominant phosphoprotein that accounts for nearly 80 percent of proteins in cow milk and cheese.

Now, if you have read Campbell, you know a great deal about CASEIN, and if you have read Jelinek you know that "a number of cow's milk proteins have now been shown to be targeted by the immune cells of people with MS".

So now we have to ALSO read the wine labels carefully. Casein in wine, gimme a break !

Gaspar
That is indeed a surprise. I always thought that the ingredients of wine were like grapes, sugar, water.

Gareth
Finings are used to clarify or clear wine just before bottling, and quite often casein and egg white (albumin) are used.

Don't worry - it's just tiny trace amounts!!!

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I actually posted about this awhile back on this forum. It is true and very strange, in my opinion. The worst part is that they use such a small amount, that they aren't required to put it on the label. So.... you really don't know if you are getting casein or not. It is probably not a big deal, but for those of us who won't touch casein with a ten foot pool, it makes it hard. :(

Shawn
I might stick to Margharitas. They're BBD friendly too.
I asked a winemaker friend of mine about this. Here is her reply:

"You are right - fish, egg or milk products can be used to clarify the wine - very similar to clarifying a broth. As soon as they come in touch with the acidity of the wine, they will curdle and bind little particles floating in the wine. They will then sink to the bottom of the tank. After filtering there is so little milk/egg/fish left in the wine that it can not be seen through any microscope in the lab. However, it can't be proven that they are not present in the wine and therefore the law orders them to be declared on the label.

Our winery is designed for very gentle winemaking (hand-picked fruit, pressing at relatively low pressure, only 3 pumping steps between vineyard and bottle). Our young wines therefore don't seem to be bitter or have any other undesirable qualities and we don't need to fine them. "
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
In Chopra's writings it is accounted for that even the tiniest amount of an allergen can produce a reaction.
I'm staying away from white wine!
"Now, if you have read Campbell, you know a great deal about CASEIN, and if you have read Jelinek you know that "a number of cow's milk proteins have now been shown to be targeted by the immune cells of people with MS".

Now, if you have read Campgbell, you will know that he says not to worry about trace amounts, for instance if a non-vegetarian broth is used. If you are going to be religious about this, then look for the Kosher label. Kparve means no animal products. Kd means contains dairy (visible on some non-dairy products). Meat can be kosher, but you'll recognize it as meat.

I reccomend you don't sweat the molecules.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks for your kind answer Alex.

Campbell writes that indeed. He' writes not to worry about some trace amounts of animal products in the diet, as the non-vegetarian broth you quote.

I don't think that applies a to a particular chronic illnes and especially about a particular protein which has been shown to be targeted by the immune cells of people with MS.

Everyone can face the situation as they please. Nothing to do with religion, I am staying away from caseine. That's my personal opinion.

Fascinating, the fact that there are many ways to analyse information! Originally, Swank allowed fat free dairy products and he obtained the results we know....

Lucky we have this forum to share our points of view with respect and with the only intention that we all get better !
9 posts Page 1 of 1