40 posts Page 1 of 4
I read about rolling on one of the other threads in this section so thought I'd try it out as I happen to have one, Alex had recommended it, and someone (I'm sorry I can't remember who as I can't remember which thread it was) posted a youtube clip of a quick demo on how to roll, so I thought I'd give it a go.

OMG... it's amazing! Despite the excruciating pain whilst I was actually rolling, my legs felt just fantastic afterwards. I did the rolling in the evening and the next morning I had no leg spasms(!) and my legs and hips felt looser than they had done in years.

Now I roll at least once a day.. either first thing in the morning or in the evening and my legs are feeling better and better. I spoke with a PT at the gym who is a big fan of rolling, who said that rolling before exercise is really good as the muscles will be so nice and loose, ready for the exercise. I tried this out and he's right! I'm now up to 21 minutes on the stationary bike and my legs feel like they're flying!

The PT also recommended that when you roll and find a particularly painful spot to stay on that spot until the pain goes, that way the tightness will dissipate. Again.. VERY painful.. but he's right. I'm rolling my ankles, calves, hamstrings, quads, hips, gluteals, lower back.. and they are all feeling so much better.

I'm now a big fan of rolling and recommend it to everyone to give it a go.

Katie
That's great, those are amazing results. I'm rolling now every night before I go to sleep and it has allowed me to progress with running. This is what the website is about, sharing tips that we otherwise not know about.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Ispecially good for ITB's (outside of thighs) but extremely painful until you get used to it. Reminds me to start again.
Thanks!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Only managed a few minutes, oh boy that was painful, will do it again in the morning. I will stick with it.
Ha ha! It's a strange pain, isn't it? I'm at the point where I can stack my legs and roll, but it took a while. I was shocked the first time, but as Katierose describes, you are limber afterward. We were doing it in a functional yoga class. We'd do a position, roll and then try the same one again and it make a big difference. Now that I'm running, I can tell I need to roll - the running stiffens muscles and the rolling undoes it. My instructor likened it to tenderizing meat, lol.
Alex

I did a bit and only lasted a few seconds it was so painful. Have to stick with it as my legs are so tight after all the recent spasms.

It is self torture and I'm a sook. ;)
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
You can put one leg in front for support as you roll so that the pressure on the rolling leg is not as heavy. Keep at it.
Alex

Can you explain what you mean by rolling? I have googled it and not sure if you use a foam roller or if anyone can direct me to a demonstration of this exercise. Sounds like it might be helpful. Will try just about anything for more flexibility!!

Mechellemc
Yes it is a foam roller.
http://www.obie.co.nz/home
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
could you use a pool noodle for this?
40 posts Page 1 of 4