32 posts Page 3 of 4
That reminded me of the very good mr motivator CD the MS resources site produced it is great and covers seated exercises too. Or is pennies or even free.
I am seeing a consultant for some hip problems I have been having. I have a labral tear to the left hip which causes me very severe pain and mobility restrictions ( I can only walk for about 10 minutes before the pain becomes very severe and running or any flexion of the hip exercise are all out of question... before operating to fix the labrum consultant is double checking the cause of the pain is from the torn labrum ( ring of cartilage in the socket of hip joint ) I will soon have a further test (MUA with steroid injection ) in passing, I was told yesterday that I have muscle wastage of that same leg. So I am trying to think how I could promote muscle regrowth without aggravating my injury... my understanding is that you need to exercise the muscle as well as eat the proteins and amino acids. I'm thinking more fish and mushroom rather than any supplement. I need to see if physio could be prescribed... What do you think? It goes without saying that this hip problem is a bit of a bummer ( that's the technical term...) as I'm about to celebrate 2 years out of the wheelchair thanks to OMS but I'm losing my mobility and ability to exercise again! ( I don't have a positive diagnosis of MS, only just ever had the symptoms so it is possible that those new problems are related to the undiagnosed condition I have... Any thought would be very welcome !
Thank you OMS friends!
'The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it'
Chinese proverb.

Babette
Eat meals based on quinwoa. (This has all essential amino acids in one source).
Eat meals based on lentils or chick peas.
No need to eat more fish remember the diet is plant based with some fish not fish based with some plant.
Thank you Veg, I use quinoea but will do more often and will experiment more with lentilles, I know I like them cold in salads... just need to find a way to exercise that leg without aggravating the hip now ! Thank you !
Chinese proverb.

Babette
my very quick lunch
in pan add some water and chopped asparagus and say 1/2 cup red split lentils. Boil/simmer about 8 minutes tip in seive and rinse. Tip back in saucepan.
I then add chopped left over veg. Stir and heat for a few minutes.
In a lunch box (for size) I add chopped orange, chopped couple olives, chopped fresh salad then tip the saucepan in and mix it all up.

May not be the correct way to cook split lentils as I have not soaked them.
Sounds nice , thank you, will try !
Chinese proverb.

Babette
Hi Babette,

Great nutritional advice from Veg.

I have had some hip problems, also, which curtailed my long brisk walks that kept me sane and the dog delighted. Shoulder problems also prevented me from doing a lot of swimming, which was another favourite exercise.

In the last six months I have discovered I can exercise very vigorously doing a Pilates Reformer class at a studio chain here in Australia called KX Pilates. Previously I had used the pilates reformer just for slow muscle strengthening exercise classes supervised by physio. I am sure that a physio, too, could offer a vigorous workout on a reformer bed, though!

I also bought a bike about six months ago. It took me several months to pluck up the courage to get on it and ride, but eventually I did. Fell off it a few times, too, but no damage to body and I could laugh at my wounded pride. Since January I have been riding it regularly, feeling a wonderful high from 30 minutes of getting puffed out, up and down small hills in the local area - really gives me a huge kick!

Last weekend I cycled almost 20 kilometres - including the 6 kilometres around Lake Wendouree in Ballarat for the OMS fundraiser here in Australia.

I was egged on by Mess Positif, bless him!

Anyway, cycling and pilates reformer are two options that may be suitable for you. Good luck. " Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Oh, I forgot to mention, I now have a six pack on my abdomen from the Pilates. But it's covered in fat. It's there, though!!!
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hi

I too have muscle wastage, but as I can only walk 20m with crutches exercise is difficult ! Physio has been the best thing for me and she gives me lots of targeted exercises. . I had muscle wastage right from the beginning of ms. I was pretty fit before ms hit me fast and hard. After this muscle wastage set in, even when I could walk up and down stairs. I always wondered if it is part of my ms.
I have bought hemp protein powder, tastes horrible but it is an extra natural source of protein. And my weight still goes down and down : (

But my physio is very positive and tells me the body can make new nerve pathways if I exercise, exercise, exercise
I have been able to build my upper body strength and great muscles by working on the bits that work better more. I have not needed to alter my diet to create muscles again. I don't do extra protein.
I do pressups and the plank.
To help my legs I have my bike on a stand this I can do for a bit and is improving muscle tone.
Need to think about what could do to stimulate legs that is possible, maybe a very steady trike on a stand might be doable.
32 posts Page 3 of 4