64 posts Page 6 of 7
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Alex, are you using cooling aids, or just rest intervals?

Unsurprisingly I find the rate of that heat builds up is much slower when the weather is cold than hot (assuming out of doors). Which is a bit of a gotcha now that the weather's at its dankest clammy coldest - I discover just how unfit I am, for as I get to where I would have faded from heat, now I'm better (less staggering, dizzy head etc) but find I'm short of breath (meaning unfit).

It was interesting to hear a recent TV documentary about our evolution saying that an important survival adaption was our hairlessness and heat regulation systems which allowed us to out-run our prey and predators in the African heat.

Anyone have any hypotheses on just why we MSers overheat, why we don't cool as much as needed, specifically why the overheat symptoms?
Any things we can do to improve out heat tolerance (beyond general ultra healthy living and as much exercise as possible)?

My very vague running hypothesis is that our brain blood flow is throttled by inappropriate vasoconstriction, and that de-myelinated axons transmit slowly when overheated which muddles everything up. And thermo regulation in the hypothalamus is either not getting information or is not handling it appropriately.

I wonder if being skinny helps cooling.
A trick that I've not managed to learn properly yet is to pre-cool. So before overheating, take steps to counter the heat build-up. So when out for a jog, at the time one's warmed up enough not to be uncomfortably cold - that's the time to take layers off, seek shade, get wet if possible (ie. the opposite of what one feels like doing in winter).

I'm trying to learn to like the grip of winter and think it can be beneficial (I've a long way to go in that).

Catriona, how did your 10k go?
Mess,

I just use a fan, a wet towel and water. In fact, I don't have much trouble with heat, just lucky I guess. My hands do become tight, but I keep going on the theory that when my brain is not able to communicate well, that some new pathways will be used. It's my own thinking, I've read nothing specific about it, but it make sense to me.

What's great about the interval training, is that it's easier and the rest periods are relaxing. I also get a great sense of accomplishment in just 4 minutes, before I get to rest again. And I know I'm not pushing too hard. I get to push hard, but then throttle back.

Even if you don't have MS, interval training is now said to be better than one long haul. But in truth, whatever gets you to the gym regularly is best and if Interval training helps, then you should do it.

.Alex.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks for asking, Mess :) The 10K was back in May - I was slow compared to my (non-MS) friends, about 1 hour 20 mins, but slightly quicker than the same race last year and I was in *much* better condition when I finished (after the 2010 race I was staggering around like a drunk! This year I felt pretty much OK). Hoping to continue the gradual improvement next year.

PS Don't blame all the winter breathing problems on your fitness - as any asthmatic can confirm, cold air inhaled quickly is a shock to the lungs, so that will be part of the problem. The more you can breathe in through nose not mouth the better, so fitness really helps, but the cold air problem can still show up.

My main winter running problem is the dark - no daylight on weekdays except when I'm working, which seriously limits available running routes, and my husband worries about me running alone (whenever you see a newspaper story about someone being mugged or raped it's always a lone female jogger!). Might have to curb my distaste for indoor running and head to the gym after work.
you guys are so inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..I am so looking forward to reaching that stage of healing where I can do a 10K run... I know I will get there, but it may take some time...

so - thank you, Catriona, for sharing your success story ! :-)

Bjørn
That's really interesting about the intermittent training. I've been trying to get on the treadmill slowly over the past few months, wanting a change from the bike and cross trainer, and just this last fort night started 5min run/5min walk. The stopping and starting really helps a lot with over heating, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Did 45 minutes of that tonight for the first time, was so proud. Not too bad on the recovery just more exaggerated tingling than the other machines. Also makes the time go by pretty quick with only thinking about 5 minute intervals.

One thing I still find though is I can't do any sort of standing cardio after doing leg weights. My legs are just like jelly, but I think weights are pretty important so I just do a little warm up on that day and skip cardio after.
Ruby,

that's excellent! Give your self some time and try to remember if you would have been able to walk after doing leg weights before MS. In any case, I'm sure it will get better.

.Alex.
Alex

just an observation really.

woke up very ealry this morning and whole body felt hellish. felt like it belonged to someone else or it has been 'poisoned'. really don't know how to describe it. after a few tears i got up and decided a walk with the dog might improve things.

along the way i jogged for a few intervals of say 50m. would get random stabbing pains along my spine and legs felt very heavy and crampy.
but after i got back, my mind seems a lot clearer and legs more cooperative.

just remember Alex saying it helped with his mind.
Jo
Jo - Good for you for pushing yourself out of bed and out the door! That's great that your legs felt better. Keep it up, but please be kind to yourself and patient with your improvement. Never push till it hurts and take a rest when you need it.
Alex

Thought I would bump this up again, love my exercise but the last few days I have needed to slow up again. I found this and thought others might be interested.

Take Care

Phil xxx
http://www.justgiving.com/phil-king5. OMS 2012
"Don't Cry - Laugh" - Roy Castle ( TV Personality and Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation)
"If you are bored you must be a boring person!" Ina Sansom (My Gran)
Every time I do any form of aerobic exercise my left leg tingles and goes slightly numb after about 5mins. I ignore it and carry on as if I stopped every time it happened I would never exercise! Hope I'm not doing more harm than good!
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
64 posts Page 6 of 7