7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Been a member for a while but this is my first post as I was hoping someone out there would understand and be able to help :D

I have RRMS and was diagnosed in February 2013 after years of random symptoms that I was assured would 'go away by themselves'. Anyway, the reason I eventually got diagnosed was I had a significant relapse (well, significant to me but in the grand scheme of things probably minor!). The relapse left me with quite a bit of weakness in my legs (most noticeably the right leg) so I can't jump or run or anything that involves pushing off from the ground.

Over the last few months, I've been working on my jumping with the ultimate aim of being able to run. The only reason I want to be able to run is so that I can cross roads etc with a bit more confidence as at the moment, I panic a car is going to come and I'm not going to be able to get out the road fast enough so I'm not looking to do distance running or anything.

My concern with my jumping at the moment is that I can only get a few millimetres off the ground and when I land, my whole body jars which is painful. So, I was thinking of getting one of those mini trampolines. Normally I'd just buy one but the one I like (which has stability bars) is quite expensive so I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have a view? Do you think it will help? Have any of you had the same issues with jumping or running and how did you overcome it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Exercise won't remyelinate demyelinated nerves, or prevent further demyelination. If it did, this whole MS thing would be sorted. My understanding is that exercise in MS is to promote overall health and to prevent deconditioning, but to do so, exercise must be done sufficiently frequently and at the correct intensity so as to prevent injury, but for benefits to be seen. This is the very problem for PWMS of course, who often don't have the capacity to exercise at the correct pace and frequency. I would hope that if trampolining helped disabled PWMS run again it would be front page news, not least because of the desire of the manufacturers to maximise profits. Not being an expert, it is hard for me to imagine why jumping would help with running, since they are two very different activities, particularly if the issue at the basis of everything is the inability of nerve signals from the brain to reach the relevant muscles required for running. My advice would be to see a physiotherapist with knowledge of MS, or an exercise physiologist, and get a program tailored to your specific needs. Take care on those roads!
I used a mini trampoline to build up to running. It helped with balance. There is also research on lymph drainage, which helps if you need detox. I didn't buy a very expensive one, and it still works great. I also used yoga, Tai chi, and walking before my transition to running. I say do whatever can!

Search this forun, there was another post on this a while ago!

Good luck and Alohs,

Jennifer
Thanks Jennifer. Now that I've worked out that a mini trampoline is called a rebounder (doh!), my googling and searching this forum has come up with lots of results about the benefits for those of us with MS :D I also spoke to my Neuro physio who was the one that recommended jumping as a first step in running and she thinks it's a great idea so off to get one now :D

Thanks again!
Hi Jumper

How is the jumping going?

I use a mini-tramp everyday. I aim for 1000 jumps per day. I do about 200-300 jumps in one go.
I'm not up to running yet but I walk 4-5 km everyday.

The health benefits of jumping are enormous. And it doesn't have to be big jumps, you can even keep your feet on the tramp and just bounce.
I don't have the stability bars but a good idea if you need them.

Jumping helps with my balance and with my lymphedema due to breast cancer & lymph node removal.

Rebounding is the way to go!
Hi - hope all is going well!

For interesting info on squatting, and jumping, as basic necessities and training exercises for running, check out the running coach on Vivobarefoot.com

They also have a great range of Barefoot shoes – I have chucked away all of my old shoes and I wear nothing but these now, and this has helped my posture and strengthened my physique, coupled with tai chi, swimming, acupuncture. I cannot wear normal trainers or other shoes any more, and I certainly could not imagine doing tai chi in anything other than bare feet, or barefoot shoes!

Good luck with your trampolining and with your recovery. God protect.
Farhad
OMS Jul 2014, dx '97-'98, 1st symptoms '91
London, UK
Jumping on Trampoline is also a great option for you. As this is not just about jumping but also helps to strengthens your coordination, legs, back, and mental ability. Personally I have great experience with my heavy duty rectangular trampoline which I bought from HappyTrampoline superstore.
7 posts Page 1 of 1