4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just reading a study (Leavitt et al) which shows hippocampal volume increasing by 16.5% and memory by 53% in RRMS patients in just three months. As more than half of RRMS patients show a 10% reduction in volume in the hippocampus 5 years after diagnosis, this could be very important for us to reverse that. Aerobic activity will be different for each of us depending on our mobility, but getting the heart rate up for 30 minutes 3 times a week is the key.

This aerobic activity study was for 3 times a week for 30 minutes per session. The study noted that there was no change in volume with non-aerobic exercise, however.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19123237

While the study only involved RRMS patients, is there any reason it would not be beneficial for all MS patients?

Patty
And the HOLISM study on exercise too...
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... published/
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Thanks for that link, Wendy. If we think about exercise as treatment, which it is of course, it's generally free or low-cost, without the side effects of drugs, you don't have to refill a prescription or do insurance paperwork, the dosage and frequency are patient-controlled, you never run out, it feels good, and much more! Then we add up all the benefits and we're up to win-win-win-win-win-win-win... (Sorry, just realised that sounded very Charlie Sheen: "Winning!")

I'm outdoorsy type and have been an avid exerciser my whole life, and I do wonder if the sunshine and activity might be why my MS was so mild for years that it was almost un-noticed? But now having had to cover up for the past few years and be inside more than I've ever had to (except the occasional weekend at the beach and my trips out of here 3 times a year), did the lack of D3 and the more sedentary lifestyle finally catch up to me/the MS?

Well, at least that's all now a thing of the past. Onward and upward!
Hello @TheGirlWithTheBandaidTattoo. I was also looking for a topic to get some good information about Aerobic exercise. I got very helpful information specially by links you share. Thanks for taking your time to write this.
4 posts Page 1 of 1