7 posts Page 1 of 1
It’s been a while since I posted anything, mainly because I’ve been super busy managing my life and a new found passion bearing in mind “left overs “ of what MS did over the last 13-14 years. I’ve been OMS for about 26 months and it’s been an interesting journey. It hasn’t really been easy and at times felt like a mission impossible. But. I am writing this as a note to myself or anyone else struggling out there, and as a reminder that things do get better. Early on this year I started hypo therapy as I’ve heard and read a lot about the benefits of horseback riding for treating moving and walking difficulties. My main issues are spasticity and therefore poor walking ability. First time I experienced sitting on a horse (just slowly moving) I noticed a huge difference in muscle stiffness and overall sensation in my body. Psychological and emotional benefit was also so powerful that I knew this was in a way my salvation ☺ So, I started doing it as much as I could, firstly as a form of light therapeutic exercises while sitting on a horse. Slowly I made a transition to learning how to ride properly. Funniest and most wonderful of all was that for the first time after so many years MS did not exist for me any more! I was on the horse! I am not sure how this happened but somehow, I managed to overcome the difficulties and became more active and mobile then I’ve been for a long time. Progress has been greater then I could have ever imagined. Walking became easier. Spasticity is slowly disappearing. My life has a new dimension now as what I thought would never be possible is becoming a norm. Days are still challenging but now more than ever am absolutely positive that this ride is actually enjoyable and is taking me to that place where body feels normal again and sickness is behind me.

Although this activity is pretty hard form of exercise with huge spiritual and emotional benefits, with determination and discipline and the help of experienced professionals it brings amazing results.

<3
Wonderful to read. Horses are so amazing to be near.
Hi sandrili

Lovely story and thank you so much for sharing it.

MIke
Most likely as a result of the the "up-and-down" motion that gets your lymphatic system working again. Its why rebounding is so effective.
Diagnosed June 2004
The benefits gained from horse riding could be for a multitude of reasons - it sounds wonderful - the feeling of motion you would gain from riding. Lovely, empowering.
I used to ride as a teen, and there were a number of disabled kids that would ride then at the riding school, often the movement would bring wonderful relief to muscles that were always tense, you could see children slowly relax, and then they would need to develop additional core strength over additional rides, some would ride as often as 3 times a week, improving ride by ride, and becoming totally different in their attitude and life.

The motion of a horse walking, cantering and galloping is a very fluid thing, a well ridden trot can be smooth too, but a badly ridden trot will pound your coxis through your shoulders. Rotate your pelvis and hips, and sit deep in the saddle when trotting, if you can.

I've been too large to ride anything equine for a number of years, but I broke 240 lbs over Xmas, and that's low enough to ride again, so this coming year, I'm going to look for a local place to ride. Thanks for the inspiration of your post, I'll need to work on the bounce to get into and out of the saddle, which will build some more strength in my core, legs, and upper body, and I need as much improvement as I an get.
Be well, live long and prosper!
That's a great aim.
A riding establishment should use a mounting block to allow riders to get on a horse without causing undue strain on the horse's back and especially important to use for both inexperienced or heavy riders.
I owned my own horse until a few years ago, they are wonderful animals.
7 posts Page 1 of 1