25 posts Page 3 of 3
Re-evaluating the evidence against sat-fats in general and MCT in particular I looked at the study which is often quote on this site (alongside the Swank study) about the saturated fats in the cell membranes.

On http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 009-9159-0 I read

In the peripheral blood mononuclear cell membranes, C22:0 and C24:0 showed positive correlations, while C14:0, C16:0 and C20:0 showed inverse correlations with the Functional System Scores. In conclusion, this study is in accordance with previous studies that have shown an increase in shorter long-chain SATS in MS patients. In addition, this study also showed that higher C14:0 and C16:0 reflected better disease outcome as demonstrated by the inverse correlation with the EDSS and FSS.

Doesn't this say that saturated fatty acids with a length equal or below palmitic acid (C16) and which would include all oils found in coconut are associated with a better outcome? So even if the MCTs are stored and not used for energy, if I understand the above correctly this wouldn't be a bad thing.
Swanks study was a thirty plus year study - can't personally say if there is any comparison but I do trust a long term study.
nryan wrote: Swanks study was a thirty plus year study - can't personally say if there is any comparison but I do trust a long term study.

Yes, the patients that followed the Swank diet seem to have been quite successful. However the Swank diet brings more changes to the standard diet than just reducing sat fats. It certainly reduces the amount of arachidonic acid, increased the Omega 3 proportion, increases vitamin intake and probably also fibre. So neither it is obvious that the reduction of (mainly long chain) fatty acids caused the improvement nor does it say anything about the effect of MCT.
Is the drive of this because you want to consume coconut?
veg wrote: Is the drive of this because you want to consume coconut?

Based on the best evidence I want to have the best possible diet. And I would like to know if I misunderstand these cell-membrane study results.
25 posts Page 3 of 3