25 posts Page 2 of 3
It had shockingly high saturated fat which for me makes the melting point irrelevant.
Aren't we talking about the saturated fatty acid molecules in coconut (oil) remaining solid and making our cell walls rigid and sticky?

Fatty acid melting points:
Lauric acid (12:0 carbon chain) 44.2C
Myristic acid (14:0 carbon chain) 53.9C
Palmitic acid (16:0 carbon chain) 63.1C
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
That seems a valid question Marjon.
But look at the melting points of the component saturated fats in coconut oil. They are all above room and body temperature.
Presumably other oils in the mix dissolve the composite so, as a whole, it has a lower MP, but we are still taking in the same harmful saturated fats.
This just as sugar is a solid (at room temp) but dissolved in our tea it will be a liquid. And when drunk, it is still the same sugar.
Were I a diabetic, I'd count sugar in tea just as much as sprinkling solid sugar grains on my food.

Coconut oil is about 90% saturated fat,
this is made up of fatty acid components (with melting point MP):
Lauric 50% MP:44C
Myristic 20% MP:54C
Palmitic 10% MP:63C

These are fats that we don't want inside us if we have MS.

There are some good things about coconut oil too:
It has a long shelf life.
It doesn't go rancid quickly like good oils.
Makes a useful glue to help bind processed food together.
Modern production extracts a high proportion of the fats and is amenable to the necessary further processing in order to make it presentable to the consumer market.
It's marketing meme seems on a roll these days.
But none of that is relevant to us.

There's plenty more to glean from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil
Thank you for your answers, Veg, Korimako and Mess Positive. I took a look at the English wikipedia - coconut oil, much more information than on the Dutch one.
I do understand it now, thanks!!

:D

Have a nice day!
Today I discussed again the coconut oil-matter and I really think we should change our mind about not using coconut oil/fat.
Although the fats in coconut oil are satured, they are medium chain fatty acids. This means that the fat will be digested very quickly and will hardly be stored as fat in our bodies.
Perhaps it is time to reconsider Coconut oil/fat.
So I think I will give it a try. Ofcourse not too much.

Information about medium fatty acids can be found here:
http://nutritionreview.org/2013/04/medium-chain-triglycerides-mcts/ .

And here: http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-the-truth-exposed/

And ofcourse on many other internet pages.

Marjon
Is this because you want to continue eating coconut?
Looking at it as a food source coconuts grow in few places climate wise it can't be an essential item to consume for humans so I am happy to continue excluding it.
We are all free to make or own choices :-)
No, I don't want to continue eating coconut. I just want to use it as one of the fats/oils I can use. I am not planning to take much of it, but to use it, for example, as 'margarine' on a slice of bread now and then.
Marjon,

Please read this article also:

http://nutritionstudies.org/coconut-oil ... hazardous/
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
I really can't understand that there is any confusion around coconut - it is not a good oil for people with MS due to it's melting point and very high saturated fat content - medium chain fatty acid or no - it seems pretty clear that it just is not safe for people with MS.

The current coconut fad also confounds me. Having lived for many years in Thailand I believe that Thais would have a big laugh at the almost magic qualities ascribe to the coconut by the current paleo/raw movements (not that I have any particular objection to either.) Thais will tell you in no uncertain terms that coconut makes you fat - ditto Pacific Islanders.
Just a reminder about sat fat; part of the problem is pwms ' bodies don't handle them properly.

So maybe ok for others to use it in moderation but we can't.

Also as far as I am aware the coconut debate is raging still. It is not proven that it is as good for people as they claim

It is being used in everything so whoever is overloading themselves may find unwelcome consequences down the line.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
25 posts Page 2 of 3