19 posts Page 2 of 2
It's interesting. When my wife cut out dairy, she started using coconut oil on her toast in the morning. The coconut oil has a melt point of 18 degrees Celcius, and when I put a teaspoonful in my mouth, it dissolved in a few seconds. She showed me an article she had clipped out of a magazine that claimed that coconut oil was a 'functional food' which has health benefits beyond its nutritional content. The article claimed that the plant based saturated fats in coconut oil were preventative against heart disease, stroke, and hardening of the arteries, as well as providing other health benefits.

The article went on to say that human breast milk contains a unique group of saturated fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) which can be transformed in the body into monoglycerides and medium chain fatty acids (MCFA's) both of which are reported to posses powerful anti-microbial properties, capable of killing disease causing bacteria, viruses and fungi. It is thought that it is primarily the presence of MCT's in human breast milk that protects babies from infection in the first year of their lives.

Apparently, there are very few dietary sources of MCT's but the richest natural source of MCT's comes from coconut. Apparently coconut oil is predominantly comprised of MCT's and may well provide anti-microbial and anti-viral protection.

Loz.
George Jelinek and Ian Gawler discuss coconut oil here in this blog from April 2013. Medium chain fatty acids and the debate around them are specifically mentioned.
http://www.gawlerblog.com/2013/04/cocon ... -nuts.html

George made the decision not to eat coconut oil because he decided it was not worth the risk and this combined with the other health decisions he made, have kept him very well for the past 15 years. As he says at the end of the blog, we have to decide for ourselves whether it is worth the risk.
That's a great page Wendy, and a great reference if the topic comes up again in future. When I first started OMS, one of the things I had trouble letting go of was coconut milk - based Thai curries. I briefly and sulkily tried to convince myself that the decreasing incidence of MS the further you went from the equator was not so much related to Vitamin D, but the increasing consumption of coconut products, the closer you got to the hotter parts of the world. :) But there are plenty of yummy Thai dishes to enjoy without coconut milk.

On the day I had the teaspoonful of coconut oil, I had a fruit salad for breakfast, a big green salad with hot smoked salmon for lunch, and lentil Dahl with brown rice for dinner, so I hope I still came in under the ten grams of SF!

Anyhow, as I reminisced about the days of coconutty Thai curries, I watched this post with interest. Wouldn't it have been nice if they were back on the menu? But it was not to be. Coconut products may be good for those who are not neurologically impaired, but not for PWMS!

Cheers,

Loz
Loz

Soy milk with a few drops of coconut essence is a great substitute for coconut milk - no need to deprive yourself of coconutty thai curries. I don't!
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Good on you! Where there's a will there's a way!
@ hplp - Thanks so much for posting this question and for outlining the case for coconut oil so clearly - you articulated something I have also been wondering about for some time. I'm still not entirely convinced that occasional raw virgin coconut oil - unheated - would be such a bad thing, but maybe I need to re-read all the answers above some time when I don't have "brain fog"!
I will at least, until I've got my head round all this, make sure I don't heat any oils and consume only linseed oil and evoo.
It's surprising how little we actually need to use oil! For example, if (unlike me) you can tolerate soy sauce, you can use this to saute briefly at a low temperature. Myself, I'm happy eating my veg raw, juiced, sprouted or lightly steamed - you get more flavour, more crunch, more nutrition and no saturated or heat-damaged fats!
Hi,
I don't think that we need to breach the OMS diet in order to have flavorful meals.
I cook veggies in a bit of water or vegetable stock and then add olive oil at the end, without heating it. Steaming veggies and adding oil or almond butter afterwards is also good.
In addition to olive oil, I'm using hemp oil (cold only), which I believe should be OK for OMS. Does anyone have a view on hemp oil?
Thanks.
I think it would be preferable to add flax oil over your food after cooking rather than EVOO or hemp oil, which both have a higher saturated fat content than flax oil and lower Omega 3 content than flax oil.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
What I don't understand is the "coconut oil is solid at body temperature" explanation. How can that be when it is liquid on a warm day? I looked up the melting point and it's 24 degrees C.

I love coconut oil, milk and especially yoghurt so really I'm looking for a reason to keep eating it/start eating it again.

But equally I can't ignore that after I switched from dairy yoghurt to coconut on my morning granola, I had three relapses in a year after three years relapse-free. Finally I was diagnosed at the end of last year. I'm on Tec but I want the best chance of remaining free of disability. Hopefully I'll be like that lady who ran New York Marathon at 92.

Having already cut out most dairy for environmental reasons and having been pescetarian or vegetarian since the age of 13, the coconut is really the only major change I'm having to make in my diet and it's hard!
19 posts Page 2 of 2