15 posts Page 2 of 2
I'm sure for the general population, coconut oil is beneficial. The theory is that Saturated fat is bad in MS for two reasons 1) Immune effects, where it excites the immune system and 2) Cell stickiness, which is governed by the melting point of the fat and related to degenerative diseases.

I think it's possible that coconut oil has beneficial immune effects, but still fails the test of melting points. That's if you agree/believe. I suppose it's not completely known but is erring on the side of caution.

Here's a useful podcast from George where he explains fat in the diet and the effects on MS

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... ess/?p=440

Alex
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
thanx Alex and everyone for insightful thoughts on this... :D

I figure I now can make sense of coconut, and how i want to deal with it... I guess I will limit my intake to next to nothing due to the melting point issue, but on rare occasion allow miniscule amounts (<5g) for the joy of the great taste and for some of the clear and relevant benefits that also seem to go with it...

does that make sense? even Swank allowed for small amounts of dairy and ref meat after year one on the diet... or am I mistaken about that?

spring sunshine from the north,

Bjørn
I don't know what other think, but if you're budgeting your sat fat, that makse sense to me.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
as some of you know, I am currently reading up on the blood type diet, what it says about type 0... it is interesting to note that prescribed diet for type 0s is almost completely similar to the Wahls diet, and Terry Wahls i also type 0 and doing marvellously well... that is not a strong scientific finding, but makes me interested... anyway - why am I writing about that here? well, the type 0 diet says strictly no to coconut... so, maybe I will stay away from that one after all!

I know many people say the blood type diet is just bollocks, but I will continue to look it up when I face limited questions like this one...

have a great day, everyone... spring is on up here in the north...

Bjørn
Coconut's an easy decision for me, as it makes me sick (maybe only the dessicated stuff, but really have no urge to eat it in any form).
15 posts Page 2 of 2