10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I’ve been making home cosmetics for the past couple of years that feel incredible on my skin and body, however, although I am careful what oils I use, there’re still some high saturated oils such as coconut and shea butter…I know the skin absorbs a certain percentage but I do not want to use what’s commercially available!! My skin is also exceptionally dry especially after following the diet and it is something that works for me…

A list of my concerns:

Egg yolk for hair (1 x every two weeks approx.)
Face - coconut oil, shea butter (I am just mentioning the baddies) (tiny amount - every day)
Face cleanser - castor oil and olive oil
Body - almond and grapeseed oil (2 TBSP - every day)
Body soap - made with coconut and shea butter

I’m guessing that’s a lot of oil…? even though in small quantities and the skin does not absorb 100%.

At the same time I realise that I haven't been very thorough following the diet and perhaps need to read the new book as a refresher! My two recent MRI’s show impressions and lesions and I do not have any manifestations except for my walking has become difficult over long distances (more 3/4km).

I hope you can help me and/or give insight & experience…

Thank you!
OMG March 2012, OMS March 2012
Hi
The skin does absorb... Some of what is applied. Shea butter is dairy I rate that far worse than coconut oil for topical application so I would find an alternative to that. Are you drinking enough water?

Edit: I'm wrong about shea butter I was confusing it with ghee butter. Please see next poster's reply.
She's butter isn't dairy - it is fat extracted from the nut of the African Shea tree. It still isn't ideal as a moisturizer on the OMS plan.

I personally have a phobia of eggs, because of their activity in autoimmune processes. Paleomom is a medical researcher. She does a great job of explaining wh to avoid them. tA caveat about her is that I wouldn't go near half the foods she reveres as healing for autoimmunity now that I am turning things around with OMS. https://www.thepaleomom.com/whys-behind ... ocol-eggs/

I struggle with this issue too. I have a transdermal magnesium lotion that I stopped using because it has coconut toward the top of the list of ingredients.

Do you use the products because you feel legitimately dry or do you use them to pamper yourself? If it is because you are dry, Veg is right to ask about water intake. Also, what about fish and flax oil - are those optimized?

If it is to pamper yourself, I get it. Given all we go through, we deserve as much self love as we can muster.

The crummy thing is that there is no science I can find on the transdermal absorption of saturated fat. I just steer as clear of it as I can, in favor of unsaturated oils, and only then when I am feeling dry.
Astrid - Midwest US. Diagnosed 2006, OMS June 2016
Thank you for your comments,

Yes I do drink water and rooibos tea min 8 cups a day (all I drink! hardly any alcohol and/or coffee)...on top of flaxseed as well. What I will do from now on is just keep to the tiny amount present (saturated fats) in my daily & night face cream and make sure all other products contain healthy oils...Although I am still kinda worried I am essentially adding on to my daily consumption of oil (of which I am careful)...

My skin feels fantastic, I have dry skin which if not treated goes scaly and tight within days...And I'm not a fan of commercial cosmetics! Will also have a look for other, more appropriate recipes...

Will drop the egg yolk as well (hair), but I thought egg white was allowed?
Makes me wonder, dry skin, I wonder if you have an intolerance going on. Are you eating wheat.
Oh oh! Read this woman's post with a recipe for a three ingredient moisturizer. Nary a tropical oil in sight: http://crunchybetty.com/facial-oil-moisturizer/

I want to try her recipe but I am still in love with my natural Pixi Rose Oil, which doesn't have any garbage in it. The Pixi Overnight Glow Serum is also relatively free of scary stuff. I don't know where you live, but these are vegan, cruelty free and available at Target, which makes it easy peasy.
Another thought :-)

You could make a lovely hair treatment/everyday leave-in by combining argan oil or another light carrier oil and Rosemary essential oil. Rosemary is really great for hair - it stimulates blood flow to the scalp, mends split ends, smells great and - bonus - if you have little ones at home, it helps ward off the nits and lice they sometimes carry home from school.
Hi Astrid

Flaxfarm UK (which is where I buy ll my flax oil) recommends simply using cold pressed flax oil to moisturise.

https://www.flaxfarm.co.uk/old-natural- ... -skincare/

I guess you could add some natural essence to make it smell nicer, and obviously don't use it mixed with coconut! I might give this a go myself. I also suffer with dry skin - possibly due to my medication.

Rachel
Thank you for all your comments! :)
Alex2210 wrote: Hello,

I’ve been making home cosmetics for the past couple of years that feel incredible on my skin and body, however, although I am careful what oils I use, there’re still some high saturated oils such as coconut and shea butter…I know the skin absorbs a certain percentage but I do not want to use what’s commercially available!! My skin is also exceptionally dry especially after following the diet and it is something that works for me…

A list of my concerns:

Egg yolk for hair (1 x every two weeks approx.)
Face - coconut oil, shea butter (I am just mentioning the baddies) (tiny amount - every day)
Face cleanser - castor oil and olive oil
Body - almond and grapeseed oil (2 TBSP - every day)
Body soap - made with coconut and shea butter

I’m guessing that’s a lot of oil…? even though in small quantities and the skin does not absorb 100%.

At the same time I realise that I haven't been very thorough following the diet and perhaps need to read the new book as a refresher! My two recent MRI’s show impressions and lesions and I do not have any manifestations except for my walking has become difficult over long distances (more 3/4km).

I hope you can help me and/or give insight & experience…

Thank you!

I think maybe you should reduce the quantity of oils a little, because our skin has a good absorbation. try to reduce some oils for a week, for example, and you'll what'll happen to your body. Anyway, you're able to get everything back.
how do you make soap? I get a discount (http://nutritionsguru.com/ ) and want to make a purchase, to order oils and another stuffs for skin. could you share with me a receipt of your oil soap? what oils should I buy? thank a lot ;)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm
10 posts Page 1 of 1