19 posts Page 1 of 2
Dear Members,

I would like to know why soy milk is recommended since it contains a lot of Omega 6?

Thank you
Holli
Hi Holli,

Soybean oil is very high in Omega 6 fatty acids and not recommended for consumption on the OMS program.

Soy milk, though, is quite low in total fat - depending on the brand one buys. Bonsoy contains 2.2% total fat, and 0.3g per 100ml saturated fat, therefore not likely to raise one's daily sat fat intake, or indeed total fat intake.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Thank you, Sue!
I got a little nervous yesterday ;-)

Holli
That makes sense, thank you Susan! Not a bad question though...
'The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it'
Chinese proverb.

Babette
Hi all.
Bonsoy is certainly the best soy milk for yoghurt, and probably much OMS cooking available in Australia.
I find it delicious,
but...
on my OMS retreat (19-23 August 2013), George recommended other milk-substitutes (oat, rice, almond etc) are a better drink to just drink.
I think he said that soy milk is too rich.

I haven't looked elsewhere about *why* George said this.

I am mixing some Bonsoy in my Oatmilk.

Cheers,
Michael D.
I'm 6 months into OMS and have become tired of Almond Milk (both 'normal' and the better 'unsweetened') and Rice Milk and never have liked Soy (except in a cafe bought Latte on occasion).... then I found the Japanese made BONSOY!!

I can't believe it's soy milk - it tastes nothing like Australian Soy milks - the Japanese sure know how to do it right. No wonder they consume such little dairy, with Soy like this they would never need to! I describe the flavour as either a Carnation Milk / powdered milk mix, I can't even discern a hint of soy. :D

I see a comment below mentioning it's richness, and yes it is richer and creamier than everything else I've tried, but as a former dairy lover who struggled to give it up it makes me feel so much happier that I'm not having to drink 'milks' that make me :( . This makes me feel like I'm not missing out. And I think that's worth something.

Oh and it's got no added oils, additives, colours, chemicals, preservatives and is low in sat fat, and has few ingredients. I do note it's lower in Calcium than Aussie Soys, but a daily calcium tablet helps that. (along with the leafy greens, salmon etc).

Anyway, no I don't work for them or their importer!!! but I just wanted to voice my 'find' (even though I'm sure it's already known by most of you) as I'm pretty excited by having such a great milk to drink again. Oh the simple pleasures! :lol:
Thanks again, Susan

Hiya again,

On my retreat, George was adamant that cheese is out. Fair enough.
One woman of Italian background seemed mournful indeed!
Some substitute cheese have rennet and the like that is non OMS, I think.
Nut cheeses (in very small portions could work), I think but don't grab me.?

What about cheddar-style soy cheese?
King land 200g

Ingredients
ORGANIC SOY BEANS, SOY BEAN OIL, CIDER VINEGAR, SEA SALT, LACTIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN (407), COLOUR (TUMERIC), FLAVOUR, WATER ADDED.

Per 100 g
19.4 g fat, 9.3 g saturated fat
(or 3.5 g to 1.2 g per 12.5 g serving).

Could someone help on this?

Cheers
Soy bean oil is a no-no - all of the imitation cheeses on the market have soy bean or sunflower or "vegetable" oil. Also the oil content in these fake cheeses are quite high. They really don't fit the OMS diet. It's pretty easy to eat 50 - 100 grams of cheese (well at least it used to be pretty easy for me :D ). I made my own "Notzeralla" using cashew, lemon and salt - it was pretty good on my margarita pizza.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-rec ... la-cheese/

and here are 9 more vegan cheese recipes - I think one of them has coconut oil so no good but the rest look fine - of course they are made from nuts so should be used occasionally and sparingly.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-rec ... socks-off/
That's right!

Just cold pressed flax oil, a very small bit of extra virgin olive oil in cooking, and
uncooked oils for flavouring. Simple enough.

Thanks.

Soya bean oil is very bad indeed.
There is more use of it in the USA than anywhere else, isn't there?

Cheers
The largest consumer of soy oil by far is China. The consumption in China is about twice that of the U.S. In China soy oil is used extensively as a cooking oil (and for other uses) as it is really cheap to produce. In the U.S. soy oil is used for the manufacturing of all kinds of processed and packaged foods. You know the kind of junk that none of us really wants to eat no matter what our health conditions are. Soy oil got a big foothold in the U.S. and in other countries many years ago because of the big "heart healthy, low fat" craze that swept the nation as margarine became the big substitute for butter.

Getting back to Soy milk ... The issue with soy milk is that it it really, really high in Omega 6, even if you are drinking a low fat version. Take a look at the nutritional profile of a typical soy milk:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/leg ... cts/8010/2

Of course different soy milks can very a little but in a case like this the omega 6/3 profile is way out of balance. In fact, the omega 6 is about 8x that of the omega 3 (1419 mg vs. 182 mg.). This doesn't make for a healthy food, especially if you drink a fair amount of it on a daily basis. Here the sat. fat profile is low but consuming products like this works against you if you are trying to achieve what is considered a healthy omega 6:3 profile of 2:1. (This would be the kind of profile a person might have from consuming a fish-based diet.)

Science is starting to tell us now (through various studies and research) that the typical western diets are running anywhere from 20:1 to 50:1 from an omega 3/6 standpoint. That's way out of balance ;) The latest thinking is that this kind of imbalance leads to all kinds of inflammatory issues and could be a contributing factor to many illnesses, including AI diseases such as MS.

An interesting study was published fairly recently about using a novel therapy of a nutraceutical formula of omega-3 and omega-6 PUFA to treat RRMS patients. The one disadvantage with the study was the study size and the fact that a sizable number dropped out of the study but the results obtained for the proof of concept study were kind of stunning. Here's the study:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3641495/

Basically, the treatment involved administering a balanced omega 3/6 formula with some Vitamins thrown in for antioxidant power on a daily basis (PLP 10 treatment). This treatment was compared to a placebo group. The PLP 10 population had 64% relative rate reduction in relapses as compared to the placebo group. The PLP group also (which is really significant) had only a 10% likelihood of disability progression (after a 2 year period) as compared to the placebo group which had 58% probability. That is a big difference in the likelihood of disability.

I'd really like to see more controlled studies on the nutritional benefits of balancing omega 3/6. Hopefully there will be a follow up study here with a bigger population. This to me speaks to the anecdotal info out there about why certain diets work and others don't and also why some diets work for some people but don't work for others. For example, it's very possible for two people to follow the same basic diet program but also have two completely different omega 3/6 profiles, based on the choices they make (how they balance the components of the diet) and the type of supplements they take.

As I see more studies and data like this, it more emphasizes to me that what's really important from a nutritional standpoint is to obtain the best possible omega 3/6 balance in the range of 1:1 to 1:2, no matter how concerned you are about your overall saturated fat levels. In other words, I would give foods like soy milk the boot.
19 posts Page 1 of 2