30 posts Page 3 of 3
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether this supermarket dairy alternative is okay (the image is found below).

There are some ingredients which I have no idea about what they are, and can't seem to find much information about them regarding the MS.

For example, one ingedrient is lecithin which George didn't say anything about when I found this topic. So I have no idea whether to avoid this product or not.

It's translated from Dutch to English using Google Translate, which is why some sentences seem weird (f.e. it should say "does NOT contain milk" on the right).

If the product is suitable for vegans then leichin will be plant based.
veg wrote: If the product is suitable for vegans then leichin will be plant based.

But does that mean the ingredient is automatically 'okay' for OMS? I have no idea what it is exactly, but Wiki says something about it being soy oil most of the time.

Due to OMS being so restrictive, I'm very wary to consume things that I have no idea of what they are without finding good information about them.
If there's weird stuff in the ingredients then it's probably heavily processed so won't hurt to avoid it. Having said that, if something is vegan and low saturated fat, then it's likely to be OK. There are non-dairy milks like oat milk that have very few ingredients (oats and water).
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
I'm sorry you feel that way. George in the book is writing to empower people to read labels and make their own decisions on whether something goes in their grocery basket rather than an exhaustive list of do/don'ts. There is a much wider global movement away from the western diet. Forks Over Knives is one such example we are not alone in this. It's easier as habits change.
Diggity wrote: If there's weird stuff in the ingredients then it's probably heavily processed so won't hurt to avoid it. Having said that, if something is vegan and low saturated fat, then it's likely to be OK. There are non-dairy milks like oat milk that have very few ingredients (oats and water).

Thanks for the suggestion of Oats milk. I did check into those, but unfortunately they are out of the question for me. The ones sold here contain either sunflower oil or rapeseed oil, which is a big no-no.

As you can see in the screenshot above, the fat levels of the milk I'm using are fine. And it's vegan. But it does contain ingredients that might not be OMS-friendly. Such as calcium carbonate, which according to Wikipedia is a chemical compound. Which I assume is processed, which in turn is not allowed with OMS.

I posted here in hopes that someone might know more on this.

veg wrote: I'm sorry you feel that way. George in the book is writing to empower people to read labels and make their own decisions on whether something goes in their grocery basket rather than an exhaustive list of do/don'ts. There is a much wider global movement away from the western diet. Forks Over Knives is one such example we are not alone in this. It's easier as habits change.

I do read labels. But the labels contain ingredients of which I don't know what they are. Whic is why I'm trying to find out more about them through this forum.

For example, is calcium carbonate allowed? A search on this forum does not yield any information.
Calcium carbonate would be fine in my opinion. Though most likely industrially synthesised in this case it occurs naturally in many forms such as chalk and limestone. It is commonly used as an antacid and to fortify foodstuffs with calcium.
We are all as you making the decisions on what we can find out as not everything is black and white. Can't say I'm that concerned over calcium carbonate being in something I use or eat it's probably in my toothpaste.
Thanks for the comments. In that case I'll assume it should be fine.
I make my own almond milk fresh every morning. You need a high speed blender (we have a VitaMix—very expensive, and worth every penny). Just combine 1/4 cup of almonds and 4 cups of water in the blender for at least a minute on the highest speed. If you are putting it in cereal there's no need to filter it but, if you are drinking it straight, you might want to squeeze it through a paint filter to get the hulls out. The hulls will not liquify but will sink to the bottom in fine particles.

When making a smoothie I just add whole almonds with the other smoothie in ingredients and make milk at the same time. I also add a cup of frozen spinach to smoothies for some extra nutrients. Can't taste the spinach in the least. Just turns your smoothie a different color, depending on the other ingredients.

Cashew milk is also very good and easier as there are no hulls to filter out. Same recipe as almond milk.

Coffee creamer: I make my own coffer creamer with cashews. Blend 1/4 cup of cashews with 3 cups of water to make a richer milk. Colors coffee like cream. It tends to settle so I just leave a spoon in my cup to stir occasionally as I'm drinking. I have experimented with various oil additives to keep it from separating but with no success.
Belief beyond proof is faith. Belief in spite of proof is folly.
30 posts Page 3 of 3