30 posts Page 2 of 3
canberran wrote: Hi MrsAristotle,

In regard to your nutritionist recommending coconut milk as a good source of Vitamin D and B12, you may want to check the validity of that information as most of the nutritional information I sourced on coconut milk lists it as having zero Vitamin D and B12. This is separate from the fact that it contains a very high level of saturated fat. Hope you can find an acceptable alternative. :) :)

Regards
Donna

Hi Donna not sure why you cant find this information its all over the Internet, perhaps its different down under lol. I shant be replacing it, as since i have been drinking it, my fatigue levels have dropped a lot and I feel so much better this is without meds. Otherwise the rest of my diet is OMS. I cannot stomach Soya its so bad for people with MS, and rice milk has no nutrional value either. I do drink tons of Almond milk too which is also good for us.

This information is direct from Google, i found tons of pages with it. Also actually as to sat fats, its weird as people who live on this stuff, rarely get high cholesterol or have heart issues and are very healthy. Coconuts actually have some pretty good stuff for us. I only drink with 8.3per cent anyway so i dont think its going to do much harm. All the other MS books say drink eat soya but thats even worse for us. I think every diet has its issues and limitations.

Coconut milk, high in vitamin B12, is just another one of the cool products that silk has come out with for vegetarians and vegans. Just one cup of coconut milk has only 80 calories but contains 50 per cent of your daily recommended intake of vitamin B12. That's 1.2 micrograms.
20 Vegetarian & Vegan Foods High in Vitamin B12 - NiceHair
www.nicehair.org/20-vegetarian-vegan-fo ... tamin-b12/

Cool you live in Oz my brother does in Queensland.
You aren't getting the right information
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut ... cts/3114/2

1 cup coconut milk has 43g sat fat! 445 cals! no vit D and no B12.

I think you are reading the sites that are promoting the hype around it being a wonder food. They are certainly not looking at it from the MS point of view.

You are not doing yourself any favours eating that much sat fat.

George has done the research around coconut, soy etc. Have you actually read any of his books?

The Silk brand you reference must be mostly water to only have that many calories and it must have added B12 and doesn't mention Vit D.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Maybe the coconut milk you are talking about is a processed fortified version with the vitamins added.

If thats the case, it's no different to taking the suppliments, except for the saturated fat.

" I cannot stomach Soya its so bad for people with MS"

This is a personal choice and you should be careful making statements like this as it may confuse people new to the diet.
Here is a link to the FAQ on diet, the third one down is about Soy.

https://overcomingms.org/ms-a-to-z/faqs/diet/

Hope this helps :)
Which milk has the most neutral flavor? I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a simple white sauce w/out having it taste like almond, coconut, etc.
Thanks in advance!
I have used rice drink for white sauce
Hi,

Just checked the ingredient panel in the coconut milk being discussed (just to reassure myself of the facts):

INGREDIENTS: Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Yes, it does contain B12 and Vitamin D (D2 and not D3). And only because it's been added, along with a long list of other ingredients in this natural product. What hype!! As a matter of interest would really like to know where "natural flavor" comes from.

Donna
Have just picked up a hemp milk, won't be getting this again. It contains sucrose ester .... Which can be a processed product from palm oil on googling and I don't want to add to the problem the poor Orangutan are experiencing near extinction . Might contain some omega 3 but I won't be buying this brand again.
Natural flavour can be a name for MSG.
canberran wrote: Hi,

Just checked the ingredient panel in the coconut milk being discussed (just to reassure myself of the facts):

INGREDIENTS: Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Yes, it does contain B12 and Vitamin D (D2 and not D3). And only because it's been added, along with a long list of other ingredients in this natural product. What hype!! As a matter of interest would really like to know where "natural flavor" comes from.

Donna

Soya milk is the same, they are all the same, even almond. I am not able to touch soya i have had tests so i have to take whats on offer. My post does say i was talking about fortified coconut milk.

The point being too, Each person with MS has to weigh the scientific evidence and decide whether or not to take a chance and eat such foods or to play it safe and avoid them until science decides the issue as everything i have read, tons of stuff and the OMS book which i do follow mostly non of it is scientifically proven. I would rather have a small amount of sat fats to be honest. Every milk is fortified with something. No one is saying you have to drink this milk, its my only choice, but we have to make an informed choice for ourselves too. Books are only guides at the end of the day.

There are a lot worse things we can eat lol.
I agree with MrsAristotle that we need to make our own choices, but we should be very careful with our advice to others (I know I've been guilty of this).

Coconut milk in general is a bad choice. Coconut milk plus spring water and a load of additives still has 3.5g of sat fat per cup. As for other alternatives, you can either make your own which is surprisingly easy (see Farriers post) or shop around because the oat milk that I like with coffee is shop bought and only has organic oats, water and a small amount of sea salt.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
@ bluestocking

I make my white sauces with Hemp milk. I find it to be thicker and most neutral of all the non dairy milks.
30 posts Page 2 of 3