10 posts Page 1 of 1
Which of the proteins available in supplement shop are safest?
- whey protein (it's from milk but it increases production of glutathione)
- soy protein
- egg protein?
- other?
I'm loosing weight on diet and want to use protein supplement.
--------------------------------signature-------------------------------------
No DX
Hi
Have you tried first bulking up the starches you eat, like more rice, quinoa, buckwheat, sweet potatoes etc.
The body does not need huge amounts of protein so there are other food sources we can bulk with not fogetting an extra peice of fruit, a banana etc. I usualy have a cooked baked potatoe in the fridge that I slice and drop in the toaster, makes a filling quick snack.
I would not have any of the three you list. Soy protien in isolated form like these drinks/powders are not good, soy is OK if fermented or natural but these soy products are pretty nastey.
I agree with Veg, and there's been quite a lot of discussion on this recently, and some good suggestions.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3041
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3020
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I use Pea Protein Isolate to add some additional protein to my diet.

I used to add whey protein to my smoothies prior to removing dairy from my diet and find that the pea protein is a natural replacement and works for me in relation to maintaining my weight at a level I am comfortable with.

The brand I use is called Vital Protein. I think this is primarily an Australian brand and therefore unsure of its availablity in other regions or online.

JN
No whey (he he).

Whey is not good for us.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Nice One Alex :D

I remember when I first started the OMS program and gave up dairy products. For the first few weeks I was so proud (I had cut out milk ,cheese, yoghurt etc and hardest of all - chocolate) but then all of a sudden I realized that all the good work was being undone as I had missed the link between my daily 'gym junkie' from Boost and the extra protein supplement of whey protein...not one of my sharpest moments ;)

JN
haha, Alex! :D

I also agree with the Pea Protein.

I am not sure how long you have been on the diet, but your weight will start to stabilize after a year and you will gain some back. I am about 6 pounds lighter and I just have to live with being a little skinny.
Hi Leonardo.
My family have been recommended a Pea Protein Isolate too. It's called "CLEAN LEAN PROTEIN" ( http://www.nuzest.com ) which is an all natural, all-vegetable isolate made in Belgium!! isn't that from your neck of the woods? :D
Anyway it's gluten - free and high in glutamine ( 50 % higher than whey, which I know we can't consume anyway )which is important for recovery from training and reduction in muscle loss.
Protein is so important as it has all 9 essential amino acids - the ones the body does not produce itself and must obtain from food sources.
"Clean Lean Protein" has a 98% digestibility rating and a pH reading of 7.8 which makes it an alkaline protein. This helps to delay the impact of lactic acid build-up during muscle contraction allowing for longer periods of exertion.
My family are all going to try it since we all do various degress of weight training, although you don't have to be weight training to take it.
I like the idea of trying it because it only contains 0.2 g saturated fat per 100 grams - 4 servings.
Hope this helps
Love and light
Rose
This pea protein is 3-4 times more expensive than soy :(

another question, is there any upper limit for non saturated fat?
--------------------------------signature-------------------------------------
No DX
This same query on how much unsaturated fat came in as an email recently. Here is Professor Jelineks response:

"Swank unfortunately gave no reason why one should limit unsaturated fat consumption. Indeed, the graphs in Swanks paper show that people who reduced their saturated fat consumption the most (and who therefore did best) also increased their unsaturated fat consumption accordingly. I made the assumption that as Swank was suggesting getting a lot of the unsaturated fat from oily fish, he was concerned about the incidental amount of saturated fat (about 30%) that came with the unsaturated fat in fish oil. That is one reason why I suggests flaxseed oil which only has about 9% saturated fat. I can actually find no reason to limit unsaturated fat intake in the literature, hence I don't limit it. However, I do recommend concentrating on omega 3s so that the ratio of omega 3 to 6 stays about 1:2. Given we get a lot of omega 6 in the diet, I suggest taking only omega 3 supplements, preferably flaxseed oil, to minimise saturated fat intake."
10 posts Page 1 of 1