9 posts Page 1 of 1
Some of the commercial vegetarian sausage brands have very small amounts of sat fats 2.3g per 100g. But have some canola oil in the roasted capsicum. Such as Sundried Tomato & Kalamata Olives sausages by Bean Supreme. Considering the small amount and the fact that one will not even eat 100g worth, is it that much to worry about?

http://www.beansupreme.co.nz/default,20 ... details.sm

O
I don't think so and I don't think we're meant to count so carefully. I just had a veggie sausage this morning and it was fantastic. I feel like I've got a real sausage in my stomach and it's a nice treat once in a while.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
What about the veg shortening?

vegetable shortening(emulsifier(471), -copied from the label.

I was wondering about Amy's organic canned soup... all organic ingredients..the only thing i was wondering about is the organic evoo---if it heated or not.

What do you guys think?? safe or unsafe to eat. I did find one of the varieties that does not have any evoo in it, just filtered water and organic veggies. Its good when you are in a rush and dont have time to make lunch.
I did a quick search on this, ref: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/shortening2.htm

they wrote on this site:
Vegetable Shortening - A solid fat made from vegetable oils, such as soybean and cotton seed oil. Although made from oil, shortening has been chemically transformed into a sold state through hydrogenation. Vegetable shortening is virtually flavorless (has a bland, neutral flavor) and may be substituted for other fats (such as butter, margarine, or lard) in baking of pie pastry, cookies, and cakes. Shortening is ideal for pastry, since it blends well with the flour. It can be stored at room temperature for up to a year.

Sounds like plastic to me!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
You really have to be careful when reading labels..always re-read.

What about the organic EVOO in Amy's organic canned soup??? Do you think its ok..or would it have been heated at high temps?
How can you possibly know how the oil has been heated in canned soup - only sure way is make your own. Think how much time you will save by not constantly reading labels!

Canning involves sterilisation to make food safe and keep for a loooong time - this means high temperatures usually under pressure.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Well there is one variety with only organic veggies and filtered water in it.

I do make my own soup, but on the rare occassion when I dont have time to cook and there is nothing to quickly heat up in the fridge, a can of soup does comes in handy.
Try freezing small batches rather than using the cans.

Re EVOO question, if you buy extra virgin cold-pressed then you will know that heat thas not been used.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I agree with Wendy.

Skip trying to find processed foods that fit the bill - make everything yourself. It's cheaper, tastes nicer and you always have complete control.

Saying that, I do have soy yoghurt quite often and I eat Quorn, which I guess is processed so maybe I'm not that holy!

Gareth
9 posts Page 1 of 1