33 posts Page 2 of 4
Yes true :D
I don't do calorie restriction, I usually eat when I'm hungry, however, I fast every week or two. Usually for 24 hours, sometimes out to 48 hours. There are supposed to be some health benefits to intermittent fasting, I'm a little skeptical, however, I don't mind fasting at all - actually, I enjoy it. There isn't any doubt in my mind I get more energy when I'm fasting, also, everything gets sharper. That's right, sharper. I don't get dizzy or low on energy. I don't stop exercising, or change anything in my routine - its common for me to run 20-30km while fasting. Of course you need to listen to your body, if you do get dizzy or feel flat, or like it just shouldn't be then stop the fast. I find I do get really hungry at about 6-8 hours in, it lasts for about 1 hour, and then that is it. I don't get hungry again. I find it significantly easier to do a complete fast as opposed to calorie restriction, where I'm just hungry all the time. I've been doing this for ages, and I did build up slowly, so I wouldn't go diving into a 48 hour fast right up. I also don't do paleo, but this page is interesting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... t-fasting/. Good luck with it, and don't forget to listen to your body.
It is great to have these discussions while keeping in mind and reminding ourselves what the core principles of the Program are because it is not just those of us who are commenting that are reading the forum and trying to figure out what to do.

I often have that in mind when commenting.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Fasting is not one of the recommendations of the OMS Recovery Program, the focus is on enjoying a plant based diet with fish while avoiding saturated fat as much as possible.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... -to-Enjoy/
Yes, good point, fasting/calorie restriction is not OMS, and why I do it has nothing to do with my MS recovery. I'll keep that in mind when doing other off topic replies as well, thanks guys.
Have just started reading Dr Michael Mosley book on the Fast Diet and am looking forward to trying. For me it's weight loss. Am over 100kg so that's 5 suitcases that I am carrying around. The benefits seem great including living longer.
How long have you been following OMS?
For most people changing to a plant based diet with exercise and with out the processed, takeaways and sugar fatty snack foods has an affect on their weight.
Overtime I have come to feel that the 5:2 based diets are just a way to allow people to carry on eating the standard western diet diet for 5 days continuing their eating habits and then on two days they effectively cut out carbs. Like a peel on peel off sticky plaster and does nothing to address the underlying lifestyle habits as I watch people around me try it.
How are you doing with following OMS? Are there any areas we might be able to help with?
I feel confident following Professor Jelinek's program. I don't have the best energy levels, but they have really improved over the past 5 years that I have been following the program. I use to only be able to work 1 1/2 days of the week because of fatigue, whereas now I can work 4. I didn't think I would ever experience feeling "normal" again but I do.
Fasting for 2 days would feel like a deprivation to me. Like punishment. Whereas following George's program feels like I'm nourishing and supporting,loving my body....
What I, we deserve....
Love and light
Rose x
There was a programme by Dr Michael Mosley about this on UK tv I think last year, I think it may have been a pnorama prog.
I was interested as, in the programme, it was suggested that intermittent fasting allows the body to repair itself better as 65% of energy is used in the digestion process.
It has also been shown that it may stimulate the growth of new neurons in the brain, which could be quite useful for people with MS.
I tried it a couple of weeks ago on two alternate days, I didn't find it very difficult, had loads of energy and my mood was greatly improved(all reported side effects). overall, I really liked the way it made me feel.
However, I had trouible sleeping on both of the nghts I was fasting. As I have problems sleeping since DX, and I know how important sleep is for MS, I have given it up untile I establish a healthy sleep cycle, when I may tyry again.
I'm not trying to loose weight and also completely trust the OMS diet, but maybe giving our digestive system a rest every now and then, isn't a bad thing.
A quick link to some info

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC156352/

Theres lots more on the internet.

Not saying this is right or wrong, but may be worth looking at.

BG
I have Never tried intermittent fasting because I enjoy food too much but do know of people with MS who do it because there is evidence that it helps the body to heal. I have not read the studies myself as I don't plan to do it but they appear to get benefit.
33 posts Page 2 of 4