17 posts Page 1 of 2
I've been solidly on OMS for years now and the benefits are real for me, but in an effort to always improve, I'm curious of the growing research on fasting, specifically FMD. This research, by Longo, made it into peer-reviewed journals and seems pretty solid. Very curious of trying it. Doesn't seem too intense. I will say I appreciate it at least in that it brings "diet" more to forefront, when other aspects of dieting can be harder to measure and prove to people (ie, their benefits).

Here's the Cell piece: http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/abstract/S2211-1247(16)30576-9

More reader-friendly: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... rt-states/
I have exactly your curiosity... in another post I expressed my opinion and ask more information about. I will try Longo protocol after the recovery from an operation I have to do next week.
Here's to smooth sailing and a speedy recovery for you next week, fromIT!

I have done *some* research on Intermittent Fasting. Longo is currently seeking a patent for food products for his version of IF, so I had a hard time finding more than this article about how to put his protocol into practice:

https://thequantifiedbody.net/fast-mimicking-diet/

There are books and tons of info online about the 5:2 diet, which seems to be reasonably the same.

I am curious to try it once I hit an improvement plateau on my current regimen. It appeals to me because you still do eat a bit on the fasting days, which I think would help me avoid become to witchy from low blood sugar.
Astrid - Midwest US. Diagnosed 2006, OMS June 2016
I tried the fast mimicking diet based on Longo's research and I spent the money to buy the 5 day kit from Prolon (company based on the research but longo does not benefit monetarily from it). It was not too difficult and I liked 'eating' a bit throughout the fast. I left the last 2 days for the weekend because I thought I'd want rest but in fact that was harder. Next time I'll arrange to do it while working, etc instead of on a weekend when I'd prefer to be enjoying! However, the first day was worst for me, as I got a migraine (probably from caffeine withdrawal) and could not have worked that day. So, I'd rearrange the order really.

The food is good and generally fits in with OMS except I believe the nut bars contain some coconut. However, summing up all the saturated fat the food provided per day was definitely under 10 grams, so I had no problem with that, and it's all plant-based anyway.

Overall I was fine while on the fast and not too tired. I believe it overall helped my digestion afterwards, as it is now much healthier and more regular. I think that shows it aided my gut health, which has been shown to possibly be beneficial for ms. Also, I believe the research and hope that it can help to reset my cells/immune system with more fasts in time. So, I'm open to doing it again, probably only 3-4 times per year though.

If you're new to the OMS program, healthy whole foods eating and such, I'd just stick to that for now. However, if you're feeling good with the diet :D and open to fasting, it may be a good option. Read the research (and longo on YouTube interviews) and see how it goes. Feel free to shoot me any questions!
I tried the fast mimicking diet based on Longo's research and I spent the money to buy the 5 day kit from Prolon (company based on the research but longo does not benefit monetarily from it). It was not too difficult and I liked 'eating' a bit throughout the fast. I left the last 2 days for the weekend because I thought I'd want rest but in fact that was harder. Next time I'll arrange to do it while working, etc instead of on a weekend when I'd prefer to be enjoying! However, the first day was worst for me, as I got a migraine (probably from caffeine withdrawal) and could not have worked that day. So, I'd rearrange the order really.

The food is good and generally fits in with OMS except I believe the nut bars contain some coconut. However, summing up all the saturated fat the food provided per day was definitely under 10 grams, so I had no problem with that, and it's all plant-based anyway.

Overall I was fine while on the fast and not too tired. I believe it overall helped my digestion afterwards, as it is now much healthier and more regular. I think that shows it aided my gut health, which has been shown to possibly be beneficial for ms. Also, I believe the research and hope that it can help to reset my cells/immune system with more fasts in time. So, I'm open to doing it again, probably only 3-4 times per year though.

If you're new to the OMS program, healthy whole foods eating and such, I'd just stick to that for now. However, if you're feeling good with the diet :D and open to fasting, it may be a good option. Read the research (and longo on YouTube interviews) and see how it goes. Feel free to shoot me any questions!
Yep - I've tried this, but then again, I love self-experimentation, me!

The science is pretty interesting - there's a signal there. Longo's book is worth reading and his podcast with Rhonda Patrick on Foundmyfitness worth listening to.

I've tried a 7 day water fast previously, which is doable but rather ascetic. My symptoms (leg numbness mainly) improved considerably, but the lack of energy makes it difficult to exercise much, although I suspect that it would be possible to adapt to repeated cycles of fasting. This process helped me to adopt time-restricted eating into my OMS program, such that I eat within approximately a 2-4 hour period late afternoon/early evening; there is some evidence for this approach being beneficial, too, for similar scientific reasons - have a listen to some of Rhonda's other podcasts!

Longo suggests FMD cycles every month for MS, but I think that's rather onerous. I'm happier to do a cycle at the start of a new season (i.e. 4 times a year in the UK), and have now done 2 cycles. Rather than buy the Prolon kits, I've used a 'mimic' FMD program that someone posted online, which is very easy to follow, more so than a strict fast. Symptomatically? Yes, I feel better after an FMD cycle - more energy, better legs, sharper, happier.

Karryn's point about caffeine withdrawal is a good one. If you're thinking of trying the FMD, I'd say carry on with caffeine if you normally have it, or spend a month or so before the FMD weaning yourself off caffeine: always worth self-experimenting to see what effects caffeine has on you, anyway!
I was glad to read your reply, Stucumber. I'm glad you have found this approach helpful as well. It also reminded me that a friend just sent me this video earlier this week. It is a report from Germany on fasting for health issues, and it specifically reports on a woman with MS and her doctor who tried a seven day fast to improve her symptoms. Based on what is shown in the video, it seemed to help her incredibly well. I am much more skeptical of the doctor's interest in a ketosis diet, though, as according to Dr. Longo this isn't successful/healthy and a mediterranean style diet (similar to OMS!) was shown to be much more effective. Once you open the link, you can go to the bottom of the video, click on settings, and choose 'Anglais' for English subtitles. https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/071395-006-A/xenius/

The video I watched before doing the fast myself is a quite technical interview of Dr. Valter Longo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE (It specifically begins to address MS around 14min30sec)

Also, Stucumber, do you have a link for the 'mimic' FMD program you used online?
The diet plan's on quantifiedbob.com

Fasting is one way of inducing ketogenesis. A more formal ketogenic diet (i.e. high fat, low carb) is probably overall unhealthier in the long term compared to an OMS/Swank/(Mediterranean) diet, but may be comparatively more beneficial in later stages of MS (i.e. where you're less concerned about reducing inflammation, and more concerned about fuelling the mitochondria of damaged neutrons), which is why the Wahl's protocol may benefit some (PP)(SP)MS patients but probably not RRMS patients ...

Valter Longo, Satchin Panda and others wrote an interesting review on time-restricted eating in 2014: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /25404320/
Serendipitously, Rich Roll has just interviewed Valter Longo about fasting: http://www.richroll.com/podcast/valter-longo-367/

And while you're there, check out some of his other podcasts!

Enjoy!

Stu xx
Thank you!
17 posts Page 1 of 2