17 posts Page 1 of 2
In the past I used to bake a fresh piece of fish with lemon, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), and spices. I can see that it is not recommended we heat up the oils, so what are you using to replace the olive oil? Likewise I liked in the past to drizzle olive oil over the roasted vegetables, so what is a good substitute? Thanks all! Wishing everyone best of continued health.
rachel99 wrote: In the past I used to bake a fresh piece of fish with lemon, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), and spices. I can see that it is not recommended we heat up the oils, so what are you using to replace the olive oil? Likewise I liked in the past to drizzle olive oil over the roasted vegetables, so what is a good substitute? Thanks all! Wishing everyone best of continued health.

You really don't need any oil with fish, honestly. When I bake fish, I typically do it without any at all.

I like to bake fish in tin foil, usually with a half can of diced tomatoes thrown in, some baby spinach on top, and a squeeze of lemon (then throw the lemon halves in there for good measure). The water from the tomatoes and the lemon is more than enough to help it bake nicely. Depending on the size of the filet, I usually leave a 6oz in, with all that other bulk added, for 20-30 mins at 400.
I never cook in oil.
Learned a great recipe for baking fish the other day.

Put egg in bowl mix with folk ( only need a small amount on fish so not worried about the no egg because of high saturated fat.. At most I use 1/5 of egg.

Put self raising flour ( or rice flour with some baking powder in it) ion a plate.

Dunk fillet of fish in egg mixture.
Coat fish then in flour mixture

Bake on baking paper on oven tray roughly 10 minutes one side and 6 on the other.

Once cooked squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper.

Tastes awesome

Thank you Allison Holst.
I freaked when I read that I couldn't use oil. I used to love to roast potatoes and heaping trays of veggies, olive oil simmered with pasta sauce, etc....my cooking rotated around oil.

I've simply not used oil or use it after it comes out of the oven. For fish, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference; cod and salmon do fine without any extra oil. Veggies and pasta sauce get a little oil after baking/cooking.

Try not using anything and see how it goes. I've found that other than preventing sticking, my use of oil wasn't necessary.
We're so used to reading about cooking with oil in almost all recipes aren't we? - saute in oil, drizzle with oil etc. etc.

it did take me a little while to get round the idea that if you simply left the oil out it would make little or no difference to the taste. Now I do that and really don't miss it one bit. I even stir fry in water :).

Have a look at these ideas -

https://overcomingms.org/recovery-progr ... egetables/

Kirsty J
Wow, these are such good ideas. Thanks everyone for helping me. I really appreciate it!!!
Although we should all be careful with the amount of oil we use in our cooking, please also keep in mind that OMS is NOT a non-fat diet! It is perfectly ok to use oils in our cooking as long as you are very careful in the oil you select, such as a non-refined extra virgin olive oil. It is true, most of the good oils (and there are only a few) come from seeds and these should not be heated. However, it is also ok to use small amounts of olive oil in your cooking - specifically in baking and roasting. I think it is wise to use some of the earlier suggestions (not the egg one) in this thread, but also keep in mind it is perfectly reasonable to use some olive oil in your roasting of vegetables or fish!

Jack
Diagnosis: Jul 2009
OMS: Jan 2010
It is not OK to use oil if the temperature is too hot even if unrefined extra vigin olive oil.
Can I just clarify - I understood from the book that heating olive oil over 180 is too much but it is ok below that? Is that right?

Tevenie
Heating any oil will cause oxidation and the properties of the oil will begin to degrade...usually around 120° C. This would include all oil present in their natural state...wheat germ oil in grains, rice bran oil in rice, seed and nut oils in their natural state, oils in fish, etc. The only way to avoid this from occurring is to implement a raw diet which is not what OMS is proposing.

Basically, it is impossible to avoid oils breaking down during the cooking process, so it should not be something we create stress over... The bigger point to consider is with frying oils and how the heat gets applied to the food. A direct dry heat in frying (and deep-frying) heats the oil quickly and to very hot temperatures. In addition to the oxidation, certain carcinogens are created and this is harmful and something we should avoid (Swank said the same thing). Baking and roasting applies a somewhat different type of heat, which is also dry heat but slightly more indirect. Surfaces of the food will have more exposure to the heat, which is where more of the breakdown will occur. However, the temperatures are more controlled and even though oxidation and vitamin loss will occur, carcinogens will not develop as readily as frying food.

As far as I know and what I have experienced in my 6+ years following OMS, my extensive experience in cooking and discussions I have had with other OMSers, baking/roasting is perfectly ok (even at higher temperatures). Frying with oil is not ok. Personally, I try to avoid the use of oils as much as possible but I have no problem using small amounts of oil in my baking or roasting...and the oil I would use for this purpose is extra virgin olive oil.

OMS is a lifestyle and the program provides guidelines to follow for anyone affected by MS. These guidelines offer a best-case scenario to achieving good health or stopping the progression of the disease. It is important to realize everyone is different and responds to various parts of the program differently. If you feel fish tastes better with a small coating of oil on it before placing it in the oven, then by all means carry on. Once you are more comfortable with the cooking processes, experiment a bit with other methods of cooking and I am sure you will find the oils/fats are often not necessary.

Keep healthy...and keep stress-free... Do whatever you can to get your health back (for some that may include avoiding all oils) and try not to get too bogged down in micromanaging all details!
Jack
Diagnosis: Jul 2009
OMS: Jan 2010
17 posts Page 1 of 2