15 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi folks. OMS for over a year now. I started with Fish Oil (lots of it and the good stuff), but switched to Flax Oil based on the HOLISM study and its findings (and Flax is much cheaper, which was a nice factor). I've been on Flax about 6 months and one thing I've noticed is a lowering libido. Now, I realize causation is not correlation -- it may be something else -- but I've been super happy, exercising regularly, etc etc, and when I looked into the diet more I did find some evidence of Flax having some endocrine disruption among males (lowering free testosterone). This makes me more than I little nervous because of how athletic I am (and more so with OMS!). We lose hormones as we age so need to speed up the process. Anyone else having this experience? I'd consider going back to Fish Oil, but if the HOLISM study recommends Flax, I'm hard-pressed to do so. Thanks for reading!
DX 2/2013; Copaxone; OMS since April 2015
Try an appointment with an Intergrated medical doctor, they will test all uour hormones and recommend what to do/take to balance them if needed.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am 100% convinced that my lower T score is related to my 30mls of daily flax for the last year. This is a bit of a conundrum because I want to do everything I can to stabilize my condition, but testosterone is important for longevity (especially in men). And the message I'm getting now is "flax flax flax" no longer taking fish oil instead, which is a bit confusing.
I would also consider that testosterone might play an important role in ms. From multiple sclerosis Barts research:

Testosterone protects you from getting MS

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blog ... tting.html

For a long time people have been trying to get to the bottom of the gender divide in MS, and they always go back to oestrogen and testosterone.
Diagnosed June 2004
That's interesting...and sort of more concerning then :?

Flax supplementation has been shown in studies to lower testosterone so it seems like this must be a relevant OMS topic given that we MSers take a lot of Flax!
Keep in mind that a majority of those with MS taking flax seed oil that are theorized to do well are likely women and not men. I seriously doubt if there have been any studies done on just men who have MS and who are taking regular, large doses of flax seed oil and what the effects this could have on their Free T and their MS in turn. It's kind of an unknown area when it comes to pure scientific research.

There have been a few studies showing the correlation between testosterone levels in men, their brain gray matter, and the active level of their MS. It is believed now that Testosterone is neuroprotective and some recent studies have indicated this.

It's a good idea to get tested and have all of your key hormones monitored on a yearly basis.
Keithjwaz wrote: Keep in mind that a majority of those with MS taking flax seed oil that are theorized to do well are likely women and not men. I seriously doubt if there have been any studies done on just men who have MS and who are taking regular, large doses of flax seed oil and what the effects this could have on their Free T and their MS in turn. It's kind of an unknown area when it comes to pure scientific research.

There have been a few studies showing the correlation between testosterone levels in men, their brain gray matter, and the active level of their MS. It is believed now that Testosterone is neuroprotective and some recent studies have indicated this.

It's a good idea to get tested and have all of your key hormones monitored on a yearly basis.

Thanks for the input! That's very interesting. My wife, who is a scientist, suggested the same thing after reading the Holism paper. Her opinion was that the vast data were more representative of women and not men with respect to Flax and Fish Oil. One thing I keep hearing is that FishOil has way more saturated fat and this is one reason for the switch to Flax (among OMSers). Confused on this as the supplement I was taking -- the crazy expensive stuff -- had almost zero saturated fat in it (way less than flax). Maybe I'm missing something...

But I appreciate this suggestion on free T and neuroprotection. As you no doubt know, Testosterone is important for a variety of reasons so any reduction is alarming. This is all somewhat scary territory because I've been OMS for almost 2 years now and MS-wise I have been great with my diet and Flax! So to switch on account of my hormone levels is a conundrum to say the least.

What do you take for supplementation (I'm assuming you're a man)?
Might it be worth looking into chia seed oil as an alternative? There is a lot of detail on the nutritional breakdown of chia on http://azchia.com, as well as information on the potential health hazards of flaxseed oil.

Jette
The Gut Microbiome is KEY to optimal health.
The OMS site & forum are brilliant! Thanks, everyone! :D
I've been monitoring my Testosterone for the past 3 years. I've achieved a gain each year despite going against the common diet advice of more saturated fat and lots of meat. I have been consuming flaxseed oil for the past 6 years, as per the OMS diet and also eating tofu and occasional soymilk. The one thing I have done, is to get lean and to lift weights. I will write a post soon about lifting,but I am convinced that all men should lift, especially those with MS.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
bonzo wrote: Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am 100% convinced that my lower T score is related to my 30mls of daily flax for the last year. This is a bit of a conundrum because I want to do everything I can to stabilize my condition, but testosterone is important for longevity (especially in men). And the message I'm getting now is "flax flax flax" no longer taking fish oil instead, which is a bit confusing.

Hi Bonzo - i was wondering, how you have managed this over the last year?

I ask as I find myself in a similar predicament. I'm a guy, have had MS almost a year and have pretty much adopted OMS completely, although it took time to get here. I also had my first round of Lemtrada (alemtuzumab) in March, which was about the point I noticed low libido. My Testosterone level was checked in about April this year and it came back just below normal range, or about the level you would expect from a 60 year old (i'm 29 by the way). My neurologist said not to worry and that it should stabilise after treatment (but couldnt say if it was as a result of the treatment).

Its now Sept and my libido is still low. I have recently started to question whether my diet is affecting this, and after some internet research, it appears that it could well be. I no longer eat meat or dairy and have replaced with seafood, soy products and of course, lots of flax.

I am now thinking that this could be the culprit, instead of, or in addition to the treatment: The increase in soy and flax have both helped to increase oestrogen levels (and therefore reduce T) and the lack of red meat may have led to a decrease in zinc (needed for T).

For this reason, I've decided to cut out soy for the next 6 weeks and replace with oat/rice/almond milk. I will also try and boost zinc through natural means.

But what about flax? Its so crucial to OMS!

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks
15 posts Page 1 of 2