4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I just started the oms recovery program. And the diet too, of course. I have a question regarding the omega 3 supply.
I presume this question has been asked frequently, so if anyone could link me to previous forum posts concerning this question that's fine with me.

I've done some research and found out that there are 3 roughly 3 types of omega-3 fatty acids:
ALA
EPA
DHA

EPA and DHA are the ones we (ms patients) need, right? Now I've also read that humans can convert short-chain omega-3 fatty acids to long-chain forms (EPA, DHA) with an efficiency below 5%.

Not much, right? So how do I get to my daily oms omega-3 supply? Fish oil supplements, or cold pressed flaxseed oil? What about the quantity? 1000mg, 1360mg, how many a day? Help is really welcome!

Thanks in advance

Lianne
Welcome
Flax seed oil is fine and the faq covers the amount I think, sorry can't add s link my tablet always crashes it's a chrome thing
Welcome here, Lianne!

A key part of the OMS programme is to keep saturated fat as low as possible. If I remember my facts correctly, the saturated fat content in fish oil is about 30% and that of flaxseed oil is around 9%. So many people who follow the OMS programme choose to take cold-pressed flaxseed oil. We are advised to take between 20 and 40ml of Omega 3 oil a day. The content of capsules vary but even at the lower 20ml level, that would usually mean taking over 20 capsules a day! Most of us therefore take it in liquid form.

Flaxseed oil easily goes rancid so it is important to buy fresh oil and store it in the fridge (or freezer if you buy it in bulk)). In the UK, we are able to buy direct from flaxfarm.co.uk - who do also ship to other countries. Without knowing where in the world you are, it is difficult to give more specific advice about good suppliers but you should find lots of posts on the subject if you do a search of the forum.

Likewise, there are also lots of good ideas about how to take the oil. Some people are lucky enough to be able to swallow it neat but lots of us find we have to disguise it in smoothies, mix it into salad dressings, etc etc.

Good luck!

Jette
The Gut Microbiome is KEY to optimal health.
The OMS site & forum are brilliant! Thanks, everyone! :D
This is a fantastic article that clearly supports the OMS strategy regarding Omega-3's:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/health/fi ... tured_pool
4 posts Page 1 of 1