26 posts Page 3 of 3
I am reposting below my post from a few days ago because I am concerned that maybe I havent been taking enough fish oil since Aug/Sept.:

"I thought it was 5 grams total Omega-3 to shoot for. My fish oil (liquid form) has 2250 total Omega-3 in one teaspoon, 750 of which is DHA, so I have been taken 2 teaspoons a day which will give me about 4.5 grams of Omega -3 and then I take the rest in flaxseed oil. My flaxseed oil has 7700 mg of Omega-3 per tablespoon, so I take one tsp. which is 1/3 of a tablespoon daily, which equals approx. 2.83 grams Omega-3. So I am having a total of 7.33 grams of Omega -3 daily. (4.5 Fish Oil + 2.83 Flaxseed oil)....I remember ready that you should concentrate 2/3 the first 9 months of the diet with fish oil, the other 1/3 with flaxseed oil. So am I too heavy on the flax oil and not taking enough fish oil???-or am I ok..?

Thank-you!

(On days I eat oily fish, I dont adjust much, since Im not sure exactly how big of a piece of Salmon I am eating, so I might just have 1.5 teaspoons as opposed to 2 teaspoons).
There is a very good summary on the website in the Recovery Program/Program Overview which includes exactly how much oils to take:
"The Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis Program in Summary"
and at the bottom of that is a very useful printable summary including what not to eat. I have printed this out for my doctor for my medical records.

The program summary is also on page 276 in the book.

I also think the FAQ's could be more prominent on the website as there is a wealth of information there.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I agree with gareth.

You often quote this FAQ response Lisa but it is not clear to us.

The confusion lies in exactly how much EPA and DHA should be be aiming for as all tablets and liquids are different. I have seen this asked time and time again but cannot find a straight numerical reply. If you are suggesting it is in this FAQ reply then that is confusing...do you mean the number 5400mg EPA?

Obviously if a fish oil is more consentrated then less needs to be taken and that is what is confusing people.

People want to know the exact EPA number and DHA number to aim for so they can work out how much of their particular oil/capsules to take.

For example use so called high strength fish caps where 1 cap=
EPA 300mg
DHA 200mg

But the blackmores brand of fish oil contains
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 100mg
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 500mg

So the EPA is much lower but the DHA is much higher....this is what is confusing people.

Could that be clarified at all please? I will post this as a main message also because this seems to need an answer we all understand and saying 20mls is confusing

:-)
Lisa

Lisa:Moderator wrote: To help clarify this question here is, reproduced from the FAQ's:
There is a lot of discussion about whether flaxseed oil is 'as good' as fish oil. Given that our oceans are gradually becoming more polluted, particularly with heavy metals like mercury, and that heavy metals are known to cause neurological problems, it would be good if a plant-based oil like flaxseed oil could provide all our omega-3 needs.

The problem is that the fatty acid in flaxseed oil, alpha linolenic acid (ALA), needs to be converted in the body to the fish oil fatty acids, eicosapenanoic acid (EPA) and then docosahexanoic acid (DHA). I have seen various figures put on this conversion, mostly up to 10% of it being converted, dependent on general health, saturated fat consumption, alcohol consumption, and a number of other variables. Udo Erasmus in his excellent book 'Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill' does the best calculation I have seen on this. Erasmus quotes a figure of 2.7% per day of the ALA being converted to EPA. He says that this figure is likely to be higher for people getting all the essential nutrients from diet and supplements. As most people's fat deposits contain about 2% ALA (quite a bit higher for those following the diet and supplements here), this is about 200g of ALA, which could make about 5400mg of EPA (as there is 180mg EPA in a 1000mg capsule of fish oil, this is equivalent to about 30 of the 1000mg capsules of fish oil).

If there is no ALA in your fat deposits at all (if you had been taking no omega-3s in your diet whatsoever), then just taking two tablespoons of flaxseed oil would supply enough ALA to make about 378mg of EPA, equivalent to what is in two 1000mg fish oil capsules. But as can be seen from the above calculation of body stores, most people have enough stored if they are supplementing every day, to make quite adequate amounts of EPA and DHA.

The advantage of doing it this way rather than taking it as fish oil is not only related to chemical toxins like mercury in fish oil, and to questions about the sustainability of our fish stocks, but also that the EPA made this way is fresher, in the body every day. There is also the bonus that there is minimal saturated fat intake this way, as fish oil contains quite a bit of saturated fat. I prefer to take two dessert spoons of flaxseed oil a day (20mls) on the days when I don't eat oily fish.
To help all those confused with this issue please see the latest FAQ, posted just a few moments ago: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/Resources/FAQs/
Thats a million times better. Thanks for listening to us Lisa.
This is a very old thread there are new recommendations now and it's flaxseed oil.
26 posts Page 3 of 3