54 posts Page 1 of 6
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
I know it sounds disgusting but I found this audio podcast discussing the case of a Sydney man diagnosed with MS and was treated by a gastroenterologist and was "cured" of his symptoms. I was wondering if anybody else had heard of this type of treatment.

The link is ... http://freakonomicsradio.com/the-power-of-poop.html

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

Paul
I got a chuckle out of the title, but that was a facinating podcast. It all goes down to the hygine theory, I suppose.

My Naturopath insists on probiotics.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
But shouldn't you have put it under diet?
Alex

Through out history Physicians have tried to treat people for various maladies with poop; it's interesting that we've come full circle.
All I can say is you first Paul! :D
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I just wanted to bump this post back into the new posts section :D
Alex

I can imagine that if there are some real benefits to restoring the flora in your lower intestinal tract that this concept could be made more acceptable by changing the idea of using a donor to using cultivated flora that was introduced either as a suppository or even orally in some form of capsule. I hope some more research is done on this. :geek:
GROSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But fascinating too....
Not MS-specific, but if you search Google Scholar for "gut flora" it's clear that there's lots of exciting research going on about how our intestinal microbes affect our health
Let's keep this topic active:)
Alex

I heard today that Dr Karl (from the ABC Science forum and Triple J) is writing a book on Fecal Therapy. That should be an interesting read. I heard him mention it yesterday (Thursday) during his radio talkback show on Triple J radio. Not sure when its going to come out though.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
54 posts Page 1 of 6