6 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a saved topic on Meds I will edit and post later. I don't think the decision is every simple.

I was at the Gym today and thumbing through a fitness magazine. Lots of diet treatments and cosmetics. But one ad caught my attention. It was an arthritis medecine called Enbrel, with some (aparently famous) smiling golfer in the ad.

I'd say it's as dangerous as or more dangerous than for any MS drug! This is the tiniest example from the website. And it is an injectable.

5 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
5.1 Serious Infections
Patients treated with Enbrel are at increased risk for developing serious infections involving various organ systems and sites that may lead to hospitalization or death Opportunistic infections due to bacterial, mycobacterial, invasive fungal, viral, parasitic, or other opportunistic pathogens including aspergillosis, blastomycosis, candidiasis, coccidioidomycosis, histoplasmosis, legionellosis, listeriosis, pneumocystosis, and tuberculosis have been reported with TNF blockers. Patients have frequently presented with disseminated rather than localized disease.

Go to http://www.enbrel.com/index.jspx to see the marketing.

.Alex.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
flippin heck that is a seriously bad list of potential complications
was that burger and milkshake worth it
I was really shocked how casually and happily it was advertised in the magazine. You have to come to the US to see such ads. Since pharmaceutical advertising was made legal 10 or so years ago, they have become the most prevalent on TV and in print. The full power and creativity of advertisers is applied in such a way that powerful drugs are made to look safe and effective and the people who use them, oh so happy. This is certainly no exception. They are required by law to list major side effects, which presents an amazing juxtaposition.

While we debate taking comparatively mild immunomodulators, there are ads such as these advocating really strong meds.

I suppose those of you who live elsewhere don't see the CRAB drug literature. Lots of happy, active people washing cars, playing tennis and using their passports. The Gilenya folks send me something a few times a month.

I don't know if this disease is caused or mitigated by diet, but it seems in general that not smoking and eating well is a better alternative.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.

And what is worth, one of the side effects of Enbrel is multiple sclerosis. Which unfortunately happened to me. It was not an official side effect when I started to take Enbrel, but developed to be over the years. That is what makes me feel very suspicious in starting any drug that is new on the market.

Wow, I'm in the U.S. And, when we're watching tv, my husband and I note all of the commercials for prescription drugs. They are on all of the time. Just recently I've been seeing ads for Tecfidera. Shows people at a carnival, a woman swimming... And it states a couple of the side effects (PML for one). The pharmaceuticals are pretty powerful here. Nutrition and lifestyle not mentioned. Kacka, I'm sorry to hear your story with Embrel. Not fair!

Have you seen the ads for Tecfidera? I pulled this info from their website.

Tecfidera side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Tecfidera: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Tecfidera may cause a serious viral infection of the brain that can lead to disability or death. Symptoms may start gradually and get worse quickly.Call your doctor right away if you have:
6 posts Page 1 of 1