Our Neurologist is a WONDERFUL positive woman, however, she is definately all for the medication for MS ASAP. My husband is newly diagnosed and we have discussed with her the medication list she gave us to review and "choose one" from and told her we would like to hold off on medication for now and watch the MRI's for progression while we make changes to lifestyle and diet. She, like many Doctors I am sure, tend to lean towards the fact that it doesnt hurt to make the dietary and lifestyle changes, but it doesn't "help" MS either. She has told us that studies show those that choose to forgo meds, even when relapse free their brain shrinks over time. This is all so new to us, I wonder if we are making the right decision not to jump into the medications, but they seem worse than trying this for the time being. If we take meds and then have a repeat MRI in a few months and there is no progression, how do we know if the meds did that or if it would have been the same without? My husband has 3 lesions currently, we are early in the "game' here as I see it. Does anyone out there think we are doing ourselves harm by NOT taking meds. When we DO decide it's time.. Copaxone seems the safest as far as I can tell. Our Dr is pushing Tecfidera but it is so new and I know how the pharma companies work, they offer incentives to physicians to write write write their scripts... copaxone at least has been around for many years, we wont feel as much like a lab rat. I dont even know what to expect of the cost of the medications and how much the insurance will even cover, we have a high deductible plan.. This is very overwhelming.. repeat MRI is in July... any thoughts? Can we sway our Dr to see the benefits and the research to how diet and lifestyle seem to directly co-ordinate to ms? Researching has opened my eyes to how obvious it seems to go hand in hand! Chemically created medication may not be the answer, it may lie in nature How has your experience been with physicians??? Of course, eventually if there is progression we may decide that yes, it is time... but for now...we'd like to hold off on putting harmful chemicals into his body
Doing the full OMS approach will be a massive help to stabilise your husband's MS, but it can take 3-5 years to reach that point but then you are so fresh on your journey that you might feel change sooner. Because of this an MRI in 6 months time might be to soon to see such change you are after visually and as discussed very recently in a thread seeing lesions on a scan may still be unreflective of how you feel as you could be feeling great and they may be just there.
Get vit d level checked now.
Neorologist and Drs don't have to agree I use mine to support me like for blood tests but I am OK with them not advocating what I do.
Drugs are as personal decision and also back lash research is another angle to read up on as some cause MS to rebound badly when stopping and others do nothing to stop progression only tinker on relapse rate.