6 posts Page 1 of 1
HI

I was diagnosed with MS July of last year (2013), had to see my neurologist on the 14th of march 2014...... well I have had a few relapses over the past few months and my neurologists would really like for me to go on medication, although I am not sure with all the different side effects you read about. What I am looking for are people's true views on this subject...... does the meds help???? or does just changing your diet help???? or both????
I am really at a cross roads at the moment so all views would be appreciated.... :? :? :?

Positive regards

Trevor
Hi Trevor

Like you, I was unsure about starting medication. My neurologist and other medical professionals wanted me to start on Copaxone following two significant relapses last year. It was Professor Jelinek's advice to 'do whatever it takes' that convinced me to start on Copaxone. I see it as another weapon in my armory.

You will get lots of different opinions on whether or not to take drugs, and everyone has different experiences. This is mine:

1. Doctors/Neuro's did not give me much information about the various DMDs on offer. I was handed a glossy brochure and told to go away, research, and decide which drug I would like to take. This site has far more detailed and comprehensive information.
2. Copaxone seemed to be the 'favourite' DMD with the least side effects, so this is the one I chose, despite being terrified of needles.
3. One month on and all is going fine. I use the autoinject pen, and the injections are painless and I have had very few reactions (initial nausea for 3 days, some slight swelling, redness and 'nettle sting'). I know that some people have bad site reactions, but I think the fact that I have some 'padding' helps!

The way I see it is that the diet is my first line of defence. The Copaxone will hopefully control my relapses long enough for the diet to really take hold. I hope I won't be on Copaxone forever!

The DMD's (as far as I am aware) don't necessarily 'cure' any existing symptoms; they just slow relapse rates. The diet is what will help you to eliminate symptoms.

It is a very personal choice, and I am sure you will get lots of different opinions, but I hope it makes your decision a little easier.

Rachel
Hi Rachel

Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciated

Trevor
Hi Trevor, I am also at the point where I was advised to consider DMD therapy.

However, because I have not had a relapse in almost a year, and my symptoms have started to decrease, I have told my neurologist that I am going to start Copaxone when (and if! ;) I have another relapse).

In the meantime, I am starting LDN. It seems the right choice for me at this time.

Good luck with your decision.

Take care,

Claire
Hi Trevor

We are certainly not against using medications here at OMS. Your post however suggests that you may not appreciate that the OMS is vastly more than just diet. While diet does play a key role, as it does in other chronic Western diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, it is important to use the full battery of lifestyle changes, including exercise, meditation, vitamin D supplementation and sun exposure, and so on. For many people, a comprehensive lifestyle change is enough to stabilise the illness and allow the body's natural healing processes to start to heal the damage that has occurred in the central nervous system. As with other chronic Western diseases, where a prevention approach using lifestyle risk modification can stabilise or even reverse the illness (see Dean Ornish's great work showing the even coronary artery narrowing and hardening could be reversed through a similar wide-ranging approach), it makes sense to reserve medication for those that cannot stabilise the illness using this comprehensive lifestyle approach. That is very much the way we have always practised medicine; indeed, it seems odd that these days we seem to offer the medications right at the outset, before the prevention approach has been given time to work, or sometimes even before it has been tried at all.

These are personal decisions, and we can only make general recommendations. But do not allow yourself to be pushed into a decision; decide for yourself what sort of future you want and how you are going to get there. We actually have a lot more control over our health than we are led to believe. One way to help decide would be to sign up for one of our retreats (http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... +May+2014/) if you are anywhere in the vicinity of Victoria or the UK.

Be well

George
^ so true so many are passive to their illness, we though are in the driving seat.

Unlike many other drugs something that should also be considered is if there is rebound when stopping a dmd drug, some are like nothing right up to pretty strong rebound disease activity on stopping.
6 posts Page 1 of 1