9 posts Page 1 of 1
I just began copaxone last week. The nurse that came to my house told me to set the autoinject at 6. However, my legs have pretty much very little fat on them. (All my fat is on my arms and tummy :)) I'm afraid to inject into my thigh because I'm not sure it's on the right number. Any ideas? What if I inject and it's on the incorrect number?
Also, I'm worried about that post injection reaction I've been told about. Has anyone experienced it and what do you do? What is it like? I'm so nervous every time I think about it. In fact, I think I'm consumed with the thought of getting that bad reaction
TIA
Hi Tia

I began Copaxone back in February and I was really nervous about it as I hate injections! However, three months on and it's just become part of my daily routine. I barely even think about it!

Everyone's experience of the injections seems to be different as we no doubt all have different reactions to things. I read a few horror stories on here, but my own experience turned out to be much less traumatic.

Firstly, my autoinject pen is always set on 8, but I guess this depends how much 'padding' you have! (I have sufficient!) The nurse assured me that, even set on 10, the needle is not long enough to 'damage' anything beyond the skin/fat layer. Like you, my legs have less fat than stomach/hips, and on occasion I have had some bruising, but this goes in a few days.

Post-injection reactions: Initially, in my thighs, I got a flat, raised area and some redness, but this disappeared by the end of the day. Other areas get some redness, but I can often not tell where I've injected a few hours later. Some 'nettle sting', occasional 'bee sting' pain (though not for long), and I have had some itching.

The 'big reaction' that we are warned about (chest tightness, breathlessness) has not occurred thankfully, though I was told that it could happen at any time. I was advised to rest until it passed and to ring the MS nurse. Could you also make sure someone else is around whilst you are doing the injection, in case of a reaction? (I am single and live alone, so I don't have that luxury!)

Now that I have got into the swing of injections, the threat of this 'big reaction' doesn't even cross my mind. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to think about it. After all, if you are relaxed doing the injection you may be less likely to have the reaction (that's the way I look at it!)

I hope you get on OK with the injections. It becomes second nature after a while, and not everyone has the terrible reactions, so try not to dwell on it.

Rachel
Thank you Rachel for your response. I will try not to think of that bad reaction. My husband is around when I'm taking it, so that's helpful. He asked the nurse if we can just ignore it :shock: She said NO WAY! I told my husband if I tell him to call 911, he better call 911. But I guess we should just keep the shared solution number around and call a nurse there, and not bother 911. Thank you and I'm glad you're doing well with the copaxone.
HI Tia
I just thought I would reply, I injected Copaxone for 2 years with a blue auto-injector.
I have had the 'big' reaction a few times and it is scary- thats why i thought I should respond.
Within a few minutes of injecting I felt my heart rate get faster and I felt really panicky, I was shaky and a feeling of something bad was going to happen, my husband was at home and ran off to get me a cold drink and then it passes.
So if you do experience it Keep calm and sit still, concentrate on relaxing and it will pass. within 8-10minutes I felt like nothing had ever happened.
It wasn't something that worried me so much I always had my husband around just in case,I still injected when I was alone, so try to too worry, its all stressful enough without worrying in advance.

I have skinny thighs too and 6-7 sounds good, I did find though that my skinny thighs got 'dented' areas ,so if you can inject in the fatty areas more often and preserve your thighs you will be happier in the long run.
My MS nurse said to warm the area before injecting- I often read that ice is good- my nurse said the warmth helps the liquid to diffuse quicker and reduce reactions.

Good Luck and Good Health.
Hi Tia
I just thought I would reply, I injected Copaxone for 2 years with a blue auto-injector.
I have had the 'big' reaction a few times and it is scary- thats why i thought I should respond.
Within a few minutes of injecting I felt my heart rate get faster and I felt really panicky, I was shaky and a feeling of something bad was going to happen, my husband was at home and ran off to get me a cold drink and then it passes.
So if you do experience it Keep calm and sit still, concentrate on relaxing and it will pass. within 8-10minutes I felt like nothing had ever happened.
It wasn't something that worried me so much I always had my husband around just in case,I did inject when I was alone, so try to too worry, its all stressful enough without worrying in advance.

I have skinny thighs too and 6-7 sounds good, I did find though that my skinny thighs got 'dented' areas ,so if you can inject in the fatty areas more often and preserve your thighs you will be happier in the long run.
My MS nurse said to warm the area before injecting- I often read that ice is good- my nurse said the warmth helps the liquid to diffuse quicker and reduce reactions.

Good Luck and Good Health.
Thank you Quin for responding too! If you don't mind, how long did that bad reaction last and what did you do while it was going on? What did you husband do?
Tia,
Here's a link to my long-winded explanation of the one time I got an immediate post injection reaction (IPIR). :) I hope it's helpful to hear others' stories and that if you do happen to have a reaction you'll have some idea of what's happening. Good luck with Copaxone!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4185&p=26762#p26762
Thanks Ack.. that was helpful to read.
hi good luck with starting your meds ive been on copaxone foe 18 months now the injections do get easier helps when you warm the injection up I put mine in my bar for a few mins to get up to body temp. I do manual injections now and find it a lot better , I find that my hip are the best place for me when I do my legs I tense my muscle in my thigh and then pinch the loose skin and inject. try not to panic you will find the best way to do it for yourself . good luck del
9 posts Page 1 of 1