12 posts Page 2 of 2
Hello,

I just want to share my experience, not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal or abnormal.

I started Copaxone 8 days ago. I'm using the auto injector so far (the nurse is coming again next week to supervise me doing a manual injection for my first time).

So far, the needle itself, when this injects in, is painless. I can't feel the needle at all. However, after a few seconds pain kicks in. It hurts in the zone where the injection occured. The pain is strong enough for me to notice it quite enough and it lasts about 30 minutes.

I have the injection in the morning after my hot shower and just try to ignore the pain while I'm getting myself ready for work.

So far I have done all four sites (abdomon, arm, thigh and buttocks) on the left side then through the sites on the right side. Other than the half hour pain, I don't have anything else. No lumps, no welts and no redness. Is 30 mins of pain normal?

On Day 6, which was the left arm's turn, it was intense. The pain after the injection was super strong, that I was rolling around on my bed in pain and i didn't want to get up and move anywhere. I felt a second of slight nausea, but I think that was just because of the pain, and my eyes blacked out for a second too (maybe just because i stood up too quickly). The strong strong pain lasted about 1hr 30 mins.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently on Day 6 is that I didn't have a hot shower before the injection. Or is it possible I hit a nerve? Has anyone else had this happen?

Having said all the above...I am still very happy to stick with my choice of Copaxone. I can bare through the 30 mins of pain, and I feel great for the remainder of the day. I'll just hope that the 1.5hrs of super strong pain only happens on a rare occasion.

I'll tell my nurse when she visits me for my manual injection training and see what she says.

Tanya
Tanootz
MS July 2013, OMS August 2013
Hi Tanootz,

I start Copaxone a year ago, and the post injection 'bee sting' type pain has become minimal with time.

I inject manually, and only use the stomach fat. The other sites are much too painful to use.

Have you watched George's video on how to inject subcutaneously? Here's a link: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... latiramer/

The video is towards the end of the spiel on Copaxone.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
12 posts Page 2 of 2