4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all, I am wondering if you've seen this paper:
http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/full/10. ... 0000000036

The study was conducted by Dr. Jelinek and several other researchers. The paper focuses just on medications, and has some interesting conclusions--for example, regarding 'polypharmacy' which means taking multiple over-the-counter, herbal and/or prescription medications for symptoms (not good, apparently!)

The other implication of the paper's findings appears to be that taking DMDs might not really be worth it... there's a decent chance you will have somewhat fewer exacerbations, but if there's no real correlation with levels of disability over time, what is the point, ultimately? Am I interpreting this correctly? And what do you think about it?

(My daughter, 22, was just diagnosed in April and is about to begin Copaxone. I am a bit scared, I guess! Her progress in adopting the OMS lifestyle has been great so far. She is just a super cool person in general.)

Thanks so much for any thoughts/comments!

Maria.
This paper is one of the research papers from the HOLISM study. You can read Professor Jelineks comments here, he does mention Copaxone:
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... +Research/

There are other HOLISM papers too that strongly support the different components of the OMS recommendations:
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... 2520Study/
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I just thought I would weigh in with my decision on the DMD issue. I was officially diagnosed in late June, although have probably had MS for about 9 years. I immediately started researching diet, and anything else I could do to help myself cope. I stumbled on the OMS program, and started it immediately. Because it can take a year or more for the diet to really take effect, I decided to use a DMD at least for the first few years. After reading the analysis of all of the drugs in the Recovery Program drug section on the home page of this website, I decided to use Copaxone. This drug also takes several months to see benefit, but does appear to help more the longer you are on it. I have a cousin who has been on Copaxone for years, and has not had much progression in disability (despite a lack of good diet and a poor exercise program). Copaxone has very few side effects, other than site reaction. I have been self injecting for a month now on the 40mg, and find it very easy to do. I personally thought this was the best course of action while I'm changing the make-up of my body's fat cells.
Thank you so much for the kind responses. Carmen will be starting Copaxone Monday (and sticking to the OMS program). I would like to hear, from anyone who would care to comment, whether the results of the HOLISM study so far have altered your thinking about the management of MS in any way, and if so, how and why?

One thing that struck me about the paper I referenced above (on DMDs) is that respondents are not broken out by whether or not they are following OMS recommendations on diet, exercise and meditation. My real question is: does OMS lifestyle plus medication produce best results over time? Or OMS by itself? Or are they about the same?

Thanks again for reading. I love this forum, it's been so helpful to us.

Maria.
4 posts Page 1 of 1