11 posts Page 1 of 2
there is a predisposition to ms people to depression and possibly the need for antidepressants but are any sorts better than others ie. prozac has the ability to 'burn' or speed people up and may not be desirable?
I've read that different antidepressants are thought to or are at least marketed as if they act differently. So you get Paxil which is supposed to be calming and others which are supposed to be motivating. Do you need to take an antidepressant or are you worrried that you may need one in future?
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
definately need an antidepressant!
Hi,

Can't really advise on which one would be best. As far as I know they work in different ways so your doctor would be best to judge. I do know however that MS can cause depression by a different mechanism to classic depression. Also some DMDs can also cause it. In the meantime if you are able to get out and exercise to any degree preferably in the sunshine can be a great mood lifter. Even if you don't feel like it "Fake it til you make it".

Cheers,
Vicki
That's a good tip about the exercise. Actually, I can't think of any medecine where the doctor lets you choose as with DMDs. You can research the different antidepresssants, but there are those with reportedly fewer side effects. But ask your doctor. Also, some work for some and not others, so you have to give them a try.
Alex

what's a DMD?
Hi,

Sorry DMD's are disease modifying drugs such as the interferons which have been known to be associated with depression in some.

Cheers,
Vicki
So read up on the different medications,but your doctor will know which one to start with, given whether you're stressed or lethargic,etc. If you have poor or no insurance, you can tell him/her you want one available in generic form.

You'll have to take all your medical issues into account, whether you are trying to lose weight, etc. Be sure to give your doctor as much information as possible. After that, bear in mind that they can take weeks to become active and may not work for you - but then you try another.

Just give it a shot, though you might try regular exercise first, ifyou haven't already.
Alex

Hi there,
Sorry this is a bit delayed, but just saw your post. Was taking antidepressants two years before I was diagnosed - last November - and have continued to take it since. Take 100mgs of Zoloft a day and am very pleased with it. No side effects etc. Have not taken other brands so I can't compare. Consider it my insurance policy (I was prone to depression before the diagnosis - and who knows what came first - the dormant MS causing it - or the other way around? ). Good luck with your search.
Best,
Rachel
Just as a warning: I started taking antidepressants immediately after I was diagnosed - as an insurance policy. They made me lethargic and it took 6 months to figure out it was the AD's and not the MS.
Alex

11 posts Page 1 of 2