6 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm from Canada and where i live its very highly recommended for everyone to get flu shots each year. I'm 42 and was diagnosed with MS about 2 yrs ago. I have never previously had the shot, but wondering if its more helpful / harmful now that i have MS.....any thoughts?
Virginia
Yes - short, dark days and loads of bugs & viruses around to wreak havoc with our immune systems here in the northern hemisphere :( We must remind ourselves that it is a time of renewal and that longer days and sunshine will come our way again!

There was a discussion on the subject of flu jabs on the forum within the last couple of months - maybe some of those posts would help?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7232&p=45258&hilit=Flu+jab#p45258

All the best,

Jette
The Gut Microbiome is KEY to optimal health.
The OMS site & forum are brilliant! Thanks, everyone! :D
If you want the flu jab, get the flu jab. If you're on a drug therapy that is suppressing your immune system though like Gilenya or Fingolimod it's not recommended.

I will say though the flu jab is a complete hoax. Influenza is a developing disease, it mutates and evolves every year. Think Bird Flu, Swine Flu even Spanish Flu that devastated the world post first World War. It's becoming more common knowledge that by the time a flu injection in formulated and made available the virus has already mutated, thus the injection is now useless or outdated. I personally wouldn't bother.

A great idea in theory, in practice - minimal benefit.
Cezza93 wrote: If you want the flu jab, get the flu jab. If you're on a drug therapy that is suppressing your immune system though like Gilenya or Fingolimod it's not recommended.

I will say though the flu jab is a complete hoax. Influenza is a developing disease, it mutates and evolves every year. Think Bird Flu, Swine Flu even Spanish Flu that devastated the world post first World War. It's becoming more common knowledge that by the time a flu injection in formulated and made available the virus has already mutated, thus the injection is now useless or outdated. I personally wouldn't bother.

A great idea in theory, in practice - minimal benefit.

Hi Cezza
Do you have any links to back this up? :)

BG
Plus you can have the flu immunisation if you take fingolimod; the only ones you can't have are live vaccines, eg herpes zoster.

4 years of fingolimod, 4 flu vaccinations, zero influenza, zero side effects.

I am so temperature sensitive that I took paracetamol after jabbed the first couple of years but don't bother now.

Btw, yes flu constantly mutates which is why you need an annual shot if choose to have and protection is never 100% but there is enough similarity to attenuate the illness even if unable to completely prevent it and to lessen severity. Since we can never case match and deliberately infect both immunised and not, there won't be absolute evidence but population observations would support- bit like us accepting the OMS evidence academics push back on.
Imho
Thank you for the info everyone.
Virginia
6 posts Page 1 of 1