18 posts Page 2 of 2
Valley wrote: I am familiar with the film! Christopher Guest right? Husband of Jamie Lee Curtis?sorry i know the spinal tap reference but not sure what it hasto do with us? Have lost my usual sense of humour!

Valley

It's very important!

They keep trying to call it a lumbar puncture, but the best thing about this whole business is that I can now make references to Spinal Tap, one of the finest films ever made.

In the words of Viv Savage "Have a good time, all of the time"
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
OK, now I get it! Maybe it's because I didn't have a spinal tap that I don't completely get it. Maybe it is because I have a fear because I didn't have a spinal tap but because medical professionals took me seriously when they were aware of my background and although overall nice still have that linguring doubt that I probably should not have.
Sorry for the confusion Valley, that was not my intention.

I had a lumbar puncture when I was having headaches a number of years ago, I personally did not like the gown, the nervous doctor or the procedure, they were measuring my CSF pressures, and the whole thing was a pain in the back for me.

The headaches barely responded to the strongest meds, (that didn't actually knock me out cold), they measured my pressure, then drained some excess fluid, checked with the path lab, and when the results came back, they put me on antibiotics for an infection, and a week later the headaches were gone, (never to come back, for more than a "normal" headache).

The headaches were a 10 on my personal pain scale, which is why the This is Spinal Tap quote, "Turn it up to 11", has such a meaning for me, that I quoted the movie.

Please forgive my off topic posts.
Be well, live long and prosper!
Forgiven, and please forgive my glib ' I did not have a spinal tap' response as well! I have not had a lumbar puncture and forget sometimes that I am not talking to people who know me and my dark sense of humour!

Valley
Hi everyone,

Posting this for all "newbies" who are probably petrified about spinal tap - it's not bad at all.

I'm the most nervous person out there - anxious about a blood draw! So you can imagine how I felt having to do one.

My neuro knew how nervous I was so she gave me a double dosage of anti anxiety pills and it made my spinal tap procedure a breeze. I can barely recall the whole process (the process itself was under 10 mins).

You will most definitely feel discomfort at the injection point for a couple of days and some people may experience headache but that's about it.

It's worth getting the right diagnosis.

Good luck everyone!
MS = April 2017
OMS = April 2017
Hey Everybody,

Since this is the post relating to the safety of spinal tap, I thought of sharing my experience on spinal tap. I was diagnosed for MS this year and was scheduled for spinal tap on March 12th 2017. My spinal tap turned into a nightmare during and after the procedure. During the withdrawal of fluid, I had severe pain which I am sure many of you have experienced but the worst was yet to come.
After the procedure was performed, I was having severe headache and I ended up in emergency. I could not bear the pain and ever since this procedure was performed, I could not stand up. The best pose for me would be to supine. I had severe headaches though and was finally admitted to emergency as I lost my consciousness.
After admitting me to Hospital, the emergency doctor specializing in fixing the head ache told me that he could perform fix that would solve my head ache issue. He drew blood from my arm and injected the same blood at exactly the same spot from where the spinal tap was performed. This technique he told me was called Blood Patch and he had mentioned previously that this had worked for all folks in the past. It finally did work for me and after battling with headaches for around a week, the blood patch fixed it. I am posting my experience so that if anyone encounters situation like mine, you can ask for getting blood patch done so that it does not worsen your head ache. Blood patch is very helpful provided if it is done properly and by an experienced doctor.
Just wanted to share my experience having a spinal tap. I was hospitalized for solumedrol IV for 3 days. On the third day they finally wanted to collect CSF, cerebro spinal fluid from a lumbar puncture and I was told not to have any breakfast or water until 3 PM when they rolled me into the ICU where they began finding the right needle to get the CSF. The ICU doctor had to insert the needle multiple times and could not find any fluid to collect. When I told him i had not had any food or water all day, he forced saline through my wrist IV(ouch) and after a little while could collect 90ml of the CSF for analysis. This was largely unnecessary as my MRI's were enough for my neuro to diagnose me and prescribe plegridy injections as treatment. Would urge anyone who has to undergo a spinal tap to make sure their doctor doesnt curtail fluid intake before the procedure. After the local anaesthesia, there was barely any feeling in the lower back, and the needling did not bother me as much as the nurses trying to hold me still bent over for the procedure. I'm a big guy, and that was the most uncomfortable I'd been throughout my stay at hospital.

Stay strong people,
Sriku
Dont want to exaggerate but I had.....three lumbar punctures over a period of 2 months! The first was in January 2013 and the doc wanted to check my white cells after the brain MRI. But he missed what he was looking for and hit a blood vessel instead..... I had to lie down on my belly till the afternoon of the same day when an anesthetist came and performed a second one. This time she hit the right spot. Had to stay still for 4 hours and drink coffee and more coffee. It helped. In Feb I was admitted in a University hospital and the professor ordered a lot of blood tests, mri, pet scan and yet another lumbar puncture. I took the embryo position like I did the first time. The practicing doc in her last year did a good job, no Novocaine, no drugs, just went straight for it. My spine according to her was a bit tight (as I was a paratrooper for a number of years) but she made it without problems. Then 4 hours flat on my belly, coffee and more coffee and then the joy that it was over and out..... A bit of a headache every time but no dramas.
Ok it is painful but only lasts for a max of 5-10 minutes, then you are a free person again!
18 posts Page 2 of 2