6 posts Page 1 of 1
This is actually pretty encouraging. They've been able to induce the bodies in rodents to repair thier own mylen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 259299.stm

What's simply amazing to me, is that that for such a rare disease, there is so much attention focused on the disease. I suppose we're lucky in that sense.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Yeah, this looks so promising! And something that might offer a treatment for those with PPMS! It must be at least 5 years away from leading to an actual treatment, but great hope for the future.
I have just been diagnosed just over a month and I am still going through the initial shock and have my ups and downs. I was put on tysabri immediately, started to change my diet significantly and also turned my anger/frustration/focus on the latest scientific breakthroughs. The RXR-gamma trials and clinical process is very promising indeed, however read on the UK MS site that it could take up to 15 years till its available on the market.

One thing is for sure that if a cure is to be found it will be in the stem cell domain. There are multiple clinics that have started all sorts of Stems cell trails here in Australia and abroad. This is a great stem cell therapy guide http://www.msra.org.au/stem-cell-research-treatment-MS . I am cautious yet very optimistic and hoping that in 3-5 years once more trials have been conducted I can get the most beneficial stem cell treatment as I would rather not wait over a decade for gov approval. Currently I have my boyfriend on the case to verify the validity of a few treatments in India (he has very high contacts in the medical field) but until I feel confident enough will not venture down this path. It certainly is a very exciting time and we are lucky to live in the age where there is genuine realistic hope for a cure.
Hi Mimi,

I read about you just being diagnosed and how you're in the midst of the shock, and pain of it all. Well anyway I felt for you and I was there myself too when I was diagnosed about 5 months ago.

I just wanted to say it get's easier, much easier and the more you take things into your own hands and figure out what it is that you need to do for yourself to feel better, the better you will feel. And this diet is so promising. And what's more there is real hope in this day and age for a cure as you mentioned in the post.

When I am feeling sad I like to read all the review/testimonials for the swank diet on amazon. And this diet goes much further than that so we could achieve so much!

http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Sclerosi ... ewpoints=1

Wishing you a million more ups than downs!

Miriam
Mimi,

one of my MS mentors is a former olympic cyclist. When I told her I was only 6 months in (and probably looked like I needed a hug) she said "oh, you're still in the wilderness". It's an apt way of putting it. I took 3 months to find Dr. Jelenik's book - you've done it all in one month. I was still feeling pretty poorly only one month in. I saw myself in a wheelchair and useless in a year. I'm not sure where I got that from, but that's what I thought. Now it's strange to say that I've adapted.

If you have therapy resources and the ability to meet with others with MS, that may help you. I don't know were you live, but in the US, Teva put on lavish presentations with great food and motivating speakers. I saw a runner with MS and met a woman who had climbed 6 of the 7 tallest peaks - with MS.

May I ask why you are on Tysabri? That's usually reserved when other drugs don't work first.

In any case, you're here and things will get better. No one can say anyone's individual prognosis. I know that's scary. But you should remain hopeful in any case and know that there are inspiring stories out there.

Alex
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Hey Alex,

I also started on Tysabri without trying anything else first. I think it varies from one country to another, but here in the UK Tysabri is prescribed for "rapidly evolving" RRMS i.e. if you have a lot of relapses in a short space of time.

In my case, during the 5 months following my diagnosis I had at least 8 relapses - but with no remissions in between - new symptoms just kept appearing. Even after a course of steroids (which did make some symptoms improve temporarily) more symptoms soon showed up - it took a 2nd course to pause the spate of relapses. I think my neurologists thought they needed something stronger than glatiramer or beta-interferon to stop the aggressive disease process and give my body a chance to recover. They gave me the choice of beta interferon instantly or Tysabri (after an MRI scan, if it showed at least 3 new lesions since the scan that led to diagnosis) - I went for the Tysabri.
6 posts Page 1 of 1