23 posts Page 1 of 3
It says we can eat wheat but no commercial baked goods I have found a store bought pita bread that has the ingredients of organic unbleached wheat flour, water, yeast, organic vinegar and salt. Can I eat this or do I have to make my own bread?
That sounds OK ish but it is not whole grain so would be better if there was a whole meal version.
Using a bread machine, I make my own bread for years. before Swank and OMS diet guide lines that I now follow, I removed diary because of bad reaction to it. Thus I buy Organic bread flour that is whole wheat often. I just add two cups water, 4 cups flour, two teaspoon yeast. Sometimes I add one or two teaspoons of flax seed, also a little amaranth.
Hi Jeff,
I buy pittas from the shop - wholemeal if poss - but, like you, I always check for sat fats.
Enjoy,
Cinders x
I am the same as Cinders, I buy pitta breads, Wholemeal most of the time, but it is not the end of the world if it is not wholemeal. just make sure they are dairy free and oil free ( if it contains a little EVOO that is fine)

I have a breadmaker also, the problem was I was enjoying my homemade bread so much I was always gorging on it!!!!

Take Care :lol:

Phil XX
http://www.justgiving.com/phil-king5. OMS 2012
"Don't Cry - Laugh" - Roy Castle ( TV Personality and Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation)
"If you are bored you must be a boring person!" Ina Sansom (My Gran)
I buy weight watchers wholemeal bread, it is obviously not as good as making your own as it contains preservatives etc but it contains no OMS related nasties, oils etc. These are the ingredients

Wholemeal Flour (56%),Water ,Yeast ,Dextrose ,Salt ,Wheat Gluten ,Emulsifiers: E472e, E471 ,Soya Flour ,Preservative: Calcium Propionate (added to inhibit mould growth) ,Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
I make my own bread mostly, but I also eat oms friendly crumpets and pitta breads if I haven't had time to make my own. I always check ingredients though as not all oms friendly.

I haven't done it yet, but I have full intention of making lots and filling up the freezer so I can be much more oms friendly.

But when I'm out and need something to eat, I go for pittas. Wholemeal when I can

Lynne x
Not liking the look of E471 as it is an altered fat, does that make it a form of hydrogenated fat by another name?.
http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e471.htm

I um and ar over a bread machine but as we are also gluten/wheat free and I avoid yeast so not sure it would be worth it. I make a flat bread but a sliceable bread would give versatility.
I have been thinking the same veg, but I make my own without a bread maker at the moment and It's so easy don't think you need one. I've made pizza dough, flatbreads, chapatis. All yummy and sooo easy now I've practised a couple of times. tried a couple of times. It seems like a faff, but actually is really straightforward.

The chapatis recipe is from here. Lovely addition to a curry.

Lynne x
Hi,

If you're gluten free and avoiding yeast, like veg, have you considered making soda bread as an option? I have made it with plain soya yoghurt but I use ordinary flour. I would think it would work with gluten free flour as it just requires plain flour, and I've added all sorts of seeds when I've made it. Here's a sample recipe but there are lots out there ...

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... ead-recipe

Take care, Sue
MS dx 1989, OMS Jan 2013
23 posts Page 1 of 3