3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am away camping with my family and am getting at least 8 hours in the sun wearing just bathers or shorts and T-shirt (plus sunscreen). Am I getting enough sunlight to stop taking Vit.D supplements?
This has been discussed and Prof Jelinek's recommendation is copied here, I get sun and I take 50,000 IU each week regardless of how much sun I ge.:

Re: Initial megadose?
by George » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi Wendy

I am now of the view that Vitamin D supplements should be taken year round to keep levels up, regardless of season. In many places, New Zealand included, people really don't get a lot of sun, even in summer. It is important not to let the level drop below 150nmol/L, and supplementing year round is the best guarantee of this.

Glad to know your doctor is supporting you. It makes a big difference.

Be well

George

Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Just a note to remember: the body only produces a limited amount of Vit D3 at a time. When the sun's UV-B rays hits the skin, a reaction takes place that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D. If you're fair skinned it's about 15 mins the midday sun with most of your body exposed. This will allow your body to produce about 10,000IU. Dark-skinned individuals need more time and you need to adjust the time depending on the sun index level.

Once the quota is reached, more time in the sun ie "8 hours" makes no difference to vitamin D levels.
It is of more benefit to get 15mins everyday to build up levels. I have found like George that I needed megadoses and an everyday supplement of 10,000IU to maintain levels.

On the days I get my sun quota I don't take it.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
3 posts Page 1 of 1