6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice about what to do with dosing my 6 month old baby.

I have only just read George's book, and so have only just had a blood test to discover that my Vitamin D levels are low at 36. I'm now very worried about my baby, as he will not have had the Vitamin D levels he should have had while I was pregnant. My doctor has put him on Cod Liver Oil 2ml a day, but this is obviously far too low (the doctor put me on 1 x 50,000 IU a week, but I've increased it myself to 2 a week and hope that is enough to increase my levels). My doctor has admitted that he knows nothing about MS, so I'm kind of on my own here, and don't want to do the wrong thing.

Without putting my little boy through a blood test, what supplement level would be safe for him, yet high enough to increase his levels? The dose for him that I have read on the other pages would be 1,000 IU a day. But seeing as his levels would already be low, is this enough? The same goes for fish oils, I'm presuming that he should be on those, but haven't started to investigate that yet.

I also wondered if I should be putting him in the sun for 15 mins a day when I can, or is he too young for this, as all the advice is to keep babies out of the sun completely.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks alot
Kate
Hi Kate

The dose of vitamin D for a 6 month old baby depends on the baby's weight. I would guess at 6 months, this might be around 5kg. It is worked out as a percentage of 50kg taken as an adult weight for drug dosing. So, if the weight was 5kg, the baby would require 1/10 of the adult dose. Hathcock and colleagues have shown that 10,000IU a day is the maximal safe dose for an adult on a regular basis, so the dose of 1000IU you suggest is probaby about right as the maximal dose that can be given. There is no particular need to bring the blood levels up quickly, so this dose or less (perhaps 1000IU every second day) regularly should be fine. Babies' skin is particularly sensitive to sun, so it may be best not to get too much sun exposure yet; up to 15 minutes a day morning or afternoon, but not middle of the day at this time of year, would be OK. Omega 3 supplements are also a good idea. A few mls of flaxseed oil mixed in with say mashed vegetables or banana is fine, although if you are supplementing yourself, both with vitamin D and omega 3s, in the doses recommended on this site, then adequate vitamin D and omega 3s will be getting through to the baby in breast milk, if you are breast feeding. Incidentally, breastfeeding lowers your own risk of having a relapse.

Hope this helps

A good place to find a doctor who knows about these things is at http://www.aima.net.au if you live in Australia. They list all the doctors who practise integrative medicine and their specialty skills (such as nutrition).

Be well
Hi George

Thankyou so much for your swift reply, I can now get my baby on the correct dosage.

Kind Regards

Kate
Hi, I'm still breastfeeding my baby and would like to up my intake of VitD to 10000 per day - am I ok to do this while still feeding?
It is more than OK; it is essential to get your levels up while breastfeeding. Research shows that virtually no vitamin D get into breast milk until you supplement with about 6,000IU per day. At conventional doses of 1,000IU per day, nothing gets through to baby. Supplementing with 10,000IU a day has been shown to be safe, but it would be wise in due course to get your blood level checked. Ideal blood levels are 150-250nmol/L.

Hope this helps

George
Really helpful, thanks George.
6 posts Page 1 of 1