6 posts Page 1 of 1
We had (gasp) sun this weekend and I sat out for 2 1/2 hour sessions, unsure if the sun was strong enough to do anything, but hoping that it did. It's amazing that "science" declared the sun unhealthy for a few years. Admittedly, I bought it. Being sunburned in 15 minutes and wanting to avoid wrinkles, I kept out of the sun. But now I soak it up like medicine. Same with fish oil, actually. Remember when fat was bad?
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Sitting in the sun is great if it is not to hot. I Try to do it on the weekends and listen to my meditation in my iPod. Patients where I work often comment on how healthy & tanned I look and have I been somewhere nice and tropical for my holidays (I wish). Unfortunately Melbourne is having a wet summer so my sunning has decreased lately. Let's hope we don't end up with skin cancer as well :-)
I hate it hot too. Don't overdo it, but do enjoy it. We have winter here, so I was outside in very cool weather in my shorts. The neighbors must have thought I was crazy or very intent on having tan legs. In any case, it felt good.
Alex

Manchester had freezing cold sleet - I still got outside tidying my garden, but really NOT fun :(
I have a question in relation to what Alex wrote about sitting out in shorts in the dead of winter looking crazy. I was in the park in the city here with my pants rolled up in the chilly weather and a tourist snapped a picture of me, I guess thinking he was capturing the locals displaying their strange rituals. I don't mind looking like I am mad about tanning, but I wonder if it is useless? I still don't understand if it is futile to expose my skin to the sun in the winter months if we live above a certain latitude? Is it impossible for the skin to process and absorb the VD in the winter, or are there benefits (though comparatively less than in summer) to sunbathing for those living in snowy places?
It's really a good question. There do seem to be some studies which show it's not just the UV, but maybe something else. I've read stuff where they just spoke of the light hitting the retinas.

I'm not sure and it's not terribly difficult to err on the side of caution.

The sun's peaking out. I'm going to get a coffee and stand in the sun.
Alex

6 posts Page 1 of 1