4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone - I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!

I am wondering how to keep my vitamin D levels constant and hoping someone could shed some light on this for me!

I have just had my vitamin D levels tested - quite pleased with my new level of 184nmol/L. One year ago (when I was first diagnosed with MS) my level was 70nmol/L. I took 4000IU every day and took an initial mega dose to get me up to 184nmol/L.

My GP says my levels are a touch too high now and to reduce my intake to 2000IU. I of course want to stay at 184 but decided not to tell my GP about this as I didn't want to get into some debate with her about it.

Anyway, back to my original question - how do I keep my vitamin D level at 184, should I just keep taking my 4000IU every day? I don't get much sun.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am presuming I just stay on 4000IU per day, but not 100% sure.

All the best and many thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Christine
4000IU sounds too low. Calculate what is the correct dose based on your weight ie if you weigh 50kg then 5000IU would be the right dose. I am 60kg and take 7000IU a day when I don't get my 10-15 minutes of all over sun. My level stays around 200nmol which I'm very happy with, and so is my GP!

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Hi Christine, I maintain my levels around 220 nmol/L and after the megadoses etc to get it there I maintain it at 10,000IU/day.
If it miss the odd day I don't worry and if I get the sun quota I usually don't take it.

I have two docs I see, one is an intergrated practicioner/GP and the other my primary GP and neither are concerned at my levels. If they were I would maintain such levels anyway because I've done the research and know it will do no damage and it is essential to keep the levels up with MS.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Thank you so much Kashu and Wendy for your input - greatly appreciated.

Sounds like I need to up my vitamin D intake!!!

Wendy I am about 55kg so 6000IU sounds right to me - so I will start doing that and get my Vitamin D level checked again in another 6 months.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
4 posts Page 1 of 1