5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi -

during winter (and partly because i was couped up in the house) my Vitamin D levels dropped signifcantly to the low 60's, this was also prior to my offical MS diagnosis & my GP prescribe a 1,000mg Vitamin D supplement to boost my levels - 50 tablets in the bottle & once finished i left it as the sun had started to come back & i was getting daily sunshine - shorts in the backyard & 15 mins early in the day 15 minutes in the afternoon. Anyway neurology got my blood tests back for a new vitamin D test just before Xmas & levels now 124.

Whats the optimal Vitamin D level ?

And if i am now getting the required sunshine through out summer do i need a supplement ? or just one once summer ends ?

Thirdly i've been reading alot of greatly different dosage sizes for Vitamin D what is the optimal dosage if i do take one ? 5,000mg just seems way to much to me & i would think if any i would only need the 1,000mg tablets again that i had previously ?

Any input would be great - thanks
Vitamin D is so important, the optimal level is at least 150nmol/L (my level is around 225), and at least 5,000IU per day is recommended as a supplement if you are not getting enough sun.

Read this, particularly the last sections:
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
korimako wrote: Vitamin D is so important, the optimal level is at least 150nmol/L (my level is around 225), and at least 5,000IU per day is recommended as a supplement if you are not getting enough sun.

Read this, particularly the last sections:
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/

Wendy

Ok thanks Korimako - still not to sure how to intepret that though.

So if my Vitamin D level was 124 with no supplement ---- and i get 15-20 minutes a day of sun twice daily & shorts only

would the 1,000mg supplement be enough to boost my levels to around 200 ?

Thanks in advance
You won't know without a blood test. I think you should take the bigger 5,000IU dose as recommended, it is safe and really good vitamin D levels are so important to us. 1,000IU is not enough if you are not getting enough sun.

Read the section on sun again, once your body has made the vit D for the day, you won't make more if you stay out longer.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
You probably need to do a megadose to bring the level up quickly and then supplement it at a higher level to keep it there.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
5 posts Page 1 of 1