7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello. My vit D level is 45. I am keen to get it rocketing up to well over 150 as per the recommendations. I took 600 000IU a week ago. I am tempted to take one more such mega-dose to really ensure my level is right up there. Is this okay to do? My understanding is that it takes massively high levels in the system before safety issues are possible.

WIth thanks.
JLC
Last paragraph in the Program Summary/vitamin D: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/
"For people with initial levels indicating severe deficiency less than 12.5nmol/L a one-off megadose of 600,000IU raised levels to an average of 73nmol/L. This is still probably half the level which may be optimal in MS, but it can be seen that even large doses of this vitamin are quite safe. More recent research has shown that people who are overweight or obese require even larger doses of supplements to get levels up. My suggestion is to get a one-off dose like this if the initial level is low, and then take a regular supplement of around 5,000IU a day in winter, or more if required (10,000IU a day is perfectly safe), and the same on summer days when you get no sun, to get the level to around 150nmol/L as a minimum. The level should be checked at the end of each winter of supplementation to make sure it is not being overdone. Holick, a world authority on vitamin D suggests annually checking one’s vitamin D level as a routine."

This logic implies your level of 45 nmol/L would go up by around 60 to 105 with the first massive dose. At the retreat George said there was an initial risk of fractures with very high doses, however even large doses are safe.

In my case, my initial level was 85. A megadose of 150,000 took me over 170nmol/L and 7000 a day has nudged it up to 210 and kept it there. I have been getting sun too.You will only know for sure with regular blood tests.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Hey JLC,

I think the problem with 2 megadoses in quick succession is that probably nobody knows whether it's safe, because the research on multiple megadoses hasn't been done. I think it'd be better to either follow up your first megadose with a daily supplement of something like 10,000 iu, or to at least wait and have another vit D test before you take another megadose so that you're better informed about how you responded to the first dose.
Hi "JLC"
nice to see you on here too.
Could you ask your doctor for a Vitamin D test to check first?
Tell them you want to make sure you are not overdoing the supplements, and that is why you want a test so soon.
But really it is to check if you need the second high dose.

After a megadose by injection of 600,000iu, my level went from 45nm/l to 105. Then 10,000 per day took it to 191 in six months. But then I dropped back to 5,000 per day, and it dropped to 151 the next three months, so I stay at 10,000 per day.

I felt immediate benefits after the first megadose, less tingling, less fatigue, way more energy.

How are you going? Are you getting the sun on the Sunshine Coast?

Janice
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
Hi JLC

It is certainly not recommended or safe to take two megadoses of 600,000IU a few days apart. There is the real potential for toxicity. It is important to see where the level is before considering a second megadose as the effect of a megadose is very individual.

Be well

George
Thanks very much for that input, George, Janice, Wendy and Catriona. I was indeed thinking I should get a blood test first before considering further mega doses, tempting as it was to really crank up my levels.

Yep, Janice, I am getting my 15 minutes or so of near-all-over-body UV 7 per day, along with my son who is loving running naked on the beach with the sun on his skin (I wear board shorts for legal reasons), although we have to cover up eventually otherwise we would fry!

Blood test tomorrow. Hopefully I will be over 150.

Many thanks.
Jacob
HI JLC

Yep, Janice, I am getting my 15 minutes or so of near-all-over-body UV 7 per day, along with my son who is loving running naked on the beach with the sun on his skin (I wear board shorts for legal reasons), although we have to cover up eventually otherwise we would fry!

:shock: :lol:
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
7 posts Page 1 of 1