6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi Everybody

I'm quite new to this, having been diagnosed with CIS about a month ago. Two weeks later and I had started the OMS diet and convinced my GP to have my Vit D tested.
The result was 66 nmol/L, so following George's advice, I took a megadose of 150,000 IU and started supplementing 8000 IU a day, (I weigh 77Kg)

It's been two weeks since my megadose, and I have just had the results back from my latest Blood test (brought online) and to my dissapointment, my levels have only gone up to 74.5 nmol/L.

I took my megadose four days after finishing a course of steroids, could it be possible that this affected the uptake of D3?

Does anyone have any advice regarding getting my levels up?

I'm thinking of taking another dose of 200,000 IU, then another 150,000 IU a couple of days later, and increasing my daly dose to 10,000 IU.

Any help would be appreciated as this is all very new to me.

Thanks

Brian
My advice is stick with the supplements and the diet. I took 150,000 IU weekly for four weeks and saw only a slight increase on my vitamin D level compared to my hopes. I continued with 10,000 IU per day (still doing so) and recent reading is right around 150nmol/L. So I recommend persistence and patience. Best of luck.
Interesting. I don't know much about VitaminD absorption, but it does have to do with fats. I think I read somewhere that there is uncertainty whether people have MS because of low VitaminD or they have low VitaminD because they have MS. Like many, my levels were abysmal. I'm not even sure they were high enough to prevent rickets.

Mine also took a long time to rise. I take 10,000 per day for 2 1/2 years and I have not gone over the limit, so we all absorb differently.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Brian I also had trouble getting my levels up and had to do more megadoses, I did a couple of weeks of 40,000IU I think after that initial one. Over the time my body just sucks it up and I am constantly having to top it up even at a 10,000IU per day dose.

You will get your level right eventually with regular testing and dosing like you are doing. It is very clear from all our experiences that all our bodies seem to deal with it differently as has been said.

Keep up the good work!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Another megadose might be OK but I don't think you should do 2 more in quick succession (you said 200,000 then 150,000 a couple of days later). Vitamin D is very safe up to 10,000iu but these huge doses can have toxic effects - get your levels checked in between megadoses!
Thanks for the replies and encouragement, I,ve just done 200,000 IU and will keep up the 10,000 IU a day, I will have another test in a few weeks to see how my levels are doing.

Hopefully my levels will eventually get up to150nmol/L, my only concern is that untile they do, I am at possible risk of a Relapse.

Thanks

Brian
6 posts Page 1 of 1