30 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi everybody :-)

Today, dr.Mercola had an inteeresting article on hi-level vitamin D:http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/16/vitamin-k2.aspx?e_cid=20121216_SNL_Art_1

Highlights:
- If you take oral vitamin D, you also need to take vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 deficiency is actually what produces the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity, which includes inappropriate calcification that can lead to hardening of your arteries
- Vitamin K2, also called menaquinone, is made by the bacteria that line your gastrointestinal tract; K2 goes straight to your blood vessel walls, bones, and tissues other than your liver
- MK-4 (menaquinone-4), a short-chain form of vitamin K2 found in butter, egg yolks, and animal-based foods
- MK-7 (menaquinone-7), longer-chain forms found in fermented foods. There's a variety of these long-chain forms but the most common one is MK-7. This is the one you'll want to look for in supplements, because in a supplement form, the MK-4 products are actually synthetic. They are not derived from natural food products containing MK-4.
- When you take vitamin D, your body creates more of these vitamin K2-dependent proteins, the proteins that will move the calcium around. They have a lot of potential health benefits. But until the K2 comes in to activate those proteins, those benefits aren't realized. So, really, if you're taking vitamin D, you're creating an increased demand for K2. And vitamin D and K2 work together to strengthen your bones and improve your heart health.
- There are so many people on the vitamin-D-mega-dose bandwagon, taking more and more of vitamin D. And it could absolutely be causing harm if you are lacking the K2 to complete the job to get the calcium where it's supposed to be,
- Fermented vegetables, which are one of my new passions, primarily for supplying beneficial bacteria back into our gut, can be a great source of vitamin K if you ferment your own using the proper starter culture. We recently had samples of high-quality fermented organic vegetables made with our specific starter culture tested, and were shocked to discover that not only does a typical serving of about two to three ounces contain about 10 trillion beneficial bacteria, but it also contained 500 mcg of vitamin K2.

Sun exposure and safe sun beds is always best way of getting vitamin D, he says...

Any thoughts, good people?

Light from Bjørn, Oslo
Bjorn,

thanks. I've heard a lot about fermented vegetables and have always loved fermented products. I acquired a taste for Natto in the past 2 years, which is the best source for K2. Are we in trouble without it? I'm not sure, but it's probably not a bad idea to get more of it.

You can read an interesting article about it here.

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/natto.html

If you want to learn to eat natto, get one with oriental mustard in it. I eat it straight. After the first 9 times, I just ends up tasting like beans with Japanese flavor and a "sauce" which looks like slime on tastes 1-9. So give it a chance.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
My GP (who's keen on OMS) said eat egg yolks from proper free range (in green paddocks) chickens to get K2. Balancing high D wasn't mentioned, but for other important health benefits. Organic free range eggs packet states 3.2g SF per 2 eggs (100g). So unless yr worried about the protein (but protein is in egg whites too) you might decide to have egg yolk now and then to get K2.

The only natto I could find had lots of garbage additives in its sauce ingredients
This is all very informative. I have now purchased some MK7 soft gels which I will add to my daily supplements. Thanks very much!
Cinders x

PS soft gels available from here for UK people:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... 00_s00_i00
We have our own hens which roam free and eat the garden as well as their chicken feed so I have kept eggs in my diet, max about 2 per week and I'm careful with other saturated fats those days. My vit D level is rising steadily but not yet at 150 (last one 119, better than 33 in May!),I've been using the local tanning salon recently and have found more of a difference in my energy levels than supplements. Haven't tried natto...
vitamin k2 was found beneficial in rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune disease):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23124653

I wonder if there will be some study on humans with ms (there was one but on mice with EAE).

It seems to be good for mitochondria (energy production)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22582012
--------------------------------signature-------------------------------------
No DX
I to have been aware of the problem. This weekend I have ordered a polish fermenting pot, which i look forward to experiment with.
I just found a local supplier of Kimchi and can't wait to get some, nothing like if for spicing up your meal :D
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I have also read about need of K2 when taking vit D - so I am bumping this thread as I am curious if you guys are taking it? I have also read that people with MS are unlikely to have any clotting problems and have typically low blood pressure. True for me, I had even have to take vit K as a kid as my blood would not clot and I have very low blood pressure. True for others, too?
After much research I have started using Isotonix Powder vitamins from Nurtimetrix - I buy them on-line here is the US - not sure where else they are available. Anyway - their Vitamin D 5000 IU also Contains K2... This is the write up from their web-site...

"nutraMetrix Isotonix Vitamin D with K2 contains vitamin D3, the metabolically active form of vitamin D, along with vitamin K2, a form of vitamin K which supports vascular health and calcium utilization. Vitamin D plays an important role in bone health, heart health and immune support, while working with vitamin K to support normal absorption of calcium and promote healthy arteries. nutraMetrix Isotonix Vitamin D is the first of its kind to deliver both of these powerful vitamins with isotonic delivery.

Vitamin K is included in nutraMetrix Isotonix Vitamin D with K2 because of its unique partnership with vitamin D. Vitamins K and D work together to support calcium absorption and utilization. Vitamin K supports the normal delivery of calcium to the bones and promotes healthy arteries."

It is about $30 USD for a 30 day supply. It's a powder that you mix with 2 oz of water to create a yucky cherry flavored drink - so gulp it down fast!
30 posts Page 1 of 3