30 posts Page 2 of 3
Hello all - my first post on here, but already a huge admirer of OMS!

My Mum has MS and so I am taking Vit D as a precaution. I take about 10,000 iu per day of Vit D3 (I live in the UK). However, I recently became aware of calcification in my kidney (noticed small bit blood in urine one day and ended up having ultrasound… all a bit worrying, and I think could lead to kidney stones for instance if did not take corrective action!). I need to go for next ultrasound in about 6 months to see how progressing.

Seems like I have 2 options:
1) I could take K2 supplements with immediate effect, as well as continuing Vit D3, and then investigate how get some of K2 naturally with a view to reducing supplement level over time
2) I could stop taking Vit D and this might let calcification reduce (would it?? Or is best way to take K2 and this will break down what is there already?), and then start taking D and K2 together gradually in a few months

I guess I would like to do option 1), as I have been working on getting Vit D levels up and would be a shame to go back to square 1. But I need to do what is right for my kidneys too. I am taking D3 as a prevention, so would seem odd to risk an important internal organ becoming unhealthy!

Any advice would be much appreciated as I really do not know how to proceed.

Many thanks in advance
Chris
Hi,
I am nothing about K2, but seeing as you don't actually have MS I wonder if it is wise to take so much Vitamin D3? Did you have your levels tested before you started taking 10,000 units a day? That is something Prof Jelinek recommends with those with MS - and I am sure any doctor would recommend to those looking to take a supplement even if they don't have MS.
Hope you get a response re K2.
Best,
Rachel
Chris, good that you are taking Vitamin D3 but you don't need to take so much to get protection from developing MS. See the section on MS in Family Members in the Recovery Program.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... y-Members/
My recommendation for close relatives of people with MS would be a supplement of 5 000IU a day in winter and in summer on days when there is limited access to sun, reduced proportionately for children. The aim is to keep the level of vitamin D in blood at above 100nmol/L (40ng/mL in the USA). This is the level above which a number of studies have shown a protective effect against developing MS.
Chris your biggest protection is life style vit d is just one aspect. If your diet has not changed your risk is still there.
Prof Swank's patients their families no one developed ms but they all had to eat the same diet.
Have you adopted the OMS whole food plant based diet ( some seafood).
Welcome! I take K2. Make sure it's the right form of K2. Search the OMS Forum for more discussion on this. Natto is a good source from Asian supermarket freezers. Acquired taste and stringy. Mix it into steamed rice, grated ginger, and sauce like soy, plum vinegar or lemon juice and chopped herbs, flax seed oil on top. Throw out the sauce sachet.

See an integrative GP Dr and take the OMS summary and program print out. They can check yr Vit D and do other tests. Gluten sensitive?

Good on you for taking proactive steps. B careful with stress, dairy and be aware of saturated fats too.

Sara
Thanks all for your very helpful comments.

I will start with K2 supplements, and then try and transition to a more natural source in due course.

My questions are:
- to start with, is 1 a day of the soft capsules in Cinderella's post above (18 December 2012) the correct dose to accompany 5,000iu of Vit D3 (looks like 1.5 micrograms of MK-7 per capsule)?
- Is MK-7 the only one I need to take?
- What is the best thread on OMS to get tips on getting K2 naturally (I had a quick look and could not find one apart from this one?)

Also, is it correct to say that I do not have to be as rigourous in applying the lifestyle given I do not have MS? (Similarly to not having to get Vit D level as high).

Thanks again everyone.

Chris
Chris, the more you follow the OMS recommendations, the more you lower your risk of developing MS (and other western diseases).

From the MS in Family Members FAQ's:
Should my children be eating the same diet?
Swank noted in his study that there were no new cases of MS in families where everyone followed the same diet as those with MS. It is also easier to cook one meal only, but may be difficult to get agreement from family members, especially if they are older.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... rces/FAQs/
Hi
A review of articles on Vit K2 shows a remarkable lack of peer-reviewed ones, except possibly in the matter of osteoporotic femoral fractures in Japan [hence the fermented soy]. The rest are dominated by medical people who have ill-disclosed financial interests in the marketing of K2, and I've yet to find anything on its contribution to the powerful effect of D3 alone in MS and its experimental animal model. I'd suggest that toxicity of D3, with good studies showing safety in chronic dosing up to 10,000iu daily, is dominated by cases where high blood levels of calcium were either pre-existing, or occurred by misguided supplementation. Once calcium is liberated from bone, humans have limited ability to excrete it in urine, and herein lies any potential toxicity. A good case can be made out to accompany blood testing for Vit D with levels of calcium and creatinine.

I'd counsel caution where "evidence" consists of personal recommendation in books or pamphlets. Occasionally good old Wikipedia provides a clue - "Accumulating evidence suggests that Western society is affected by subclinical deficiency of vitamin K. Moreover, it has been scientifically proven that for optimal bone and vascular health, relatively high in-takes of vitamin K are required [citation needed]".

Specifically look out for phrases like "scientifically proven" and the ever-revealing [citation needed]. The former phrase really means "it would be really good for us if we could convince people".

I should disclose that I'm a cynical, old, retired doctor who's cared for a few MS patients - I just wish I'd read George's book much earlier.
Love your posts, Alastairmaxwell!
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Parsley, kale, cress and spinach all have vitamin K in them. Easy peasy. xxx
30 posts Page 2 of 3