5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I am very confused and it is weeks before I would see my neuro - who can be as confused :-(

I tested low normal on standard vitamin D test (D 25) - 35 ng/L with US norm of 25-80 (it corresponds to 87.5 in units more popular on this forum).

My Dr however also ordered another vitamin D test - D 125 dihydroxy, which came very high : 101 with norm 15 - 75 pg/mL.

I am confused what it means -min most clinical trial with vit D supplementation they seem to look only at levels of vit D 25. I expected to be deficient on this, as I hate sun, my results came normal but lower than recommended for MS.

Initially I decided to put vitamin D3 supplementation on hold, then I started to take 5,000 than 10,000 UI - now I am nervous again as I am feeling more dizzy, but on the other hand my symptoms seem to fluctuate naturally.

Can somebody please explain D 25 and D1,25 relationship? Is it possible to ask Dr Jelinek directly? The most comprehensive explanation I found on Marshall Protocol webpage, but this guy does not seem to be very trustworthy.

my symptoms: passing out (likely seizures) and severe balance problems, Dec 2012 (inactive brain lesions found, abnormal eeg) put on anti-seizure medication and 3-day cortocosteroids. Unable to work since then. OMS since Jan 2013

TIA
The 25-hydroxyvitamin D or 25(OH)D is the standard test for which you tested 35ng/L. This is the important test that you should take note of.

The D,125-dihydroxyvitamin D test is the wrong test as it cannot determine vitamin D deficiency so completely disregard that test.
This is a good explanation:
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi ... deficient/

The multiplication factor for ng/L to nmol/L is 2.5. So your 35ng/L = 87.5nmol/L which is too low. You need to supplement.

You are wise to ignore the Marshall Protocol.
Thanks, Wendy!
Wow, I was able to get my blood level to 145 nmol (58ng) very quickly and I feel SO much better already :-) I have not changed anything else, I took steroids more than a month ago, and have been on OMS diet and anti-seizure medication for a month now. I suddenly started to feel much better after taking high-doses of vitamin D, so I think it must be it. I hope it lasts...
Many people report good improvements when they get their vitamin D levels up to the recommended levels of 150-225 nmol/L 60-90ng/L
The optimum level is around 200nmol/L 80ng/L. For some this requires a megadose.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Vitamin-D/
5 posts Page 1 of 1