5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I just got the results of my Vitamin D levels, in September 2012 they were 35 ng/ml so very low, since then I have had 10000 iU/day and 3 times a week 30 mins under the sun and the new results are pretty good, I'm at 75 ng/ml now however my calcium level went up to 11.6 when limit is 10.5 so I’m wondering how I can keep the vitamin d high and try to keep the calcium under control. I have had some mild symptoms of Hypercalcemia such as excessive urination and frequent thirst so I requested the GP to test for calcium.

Any advice? Should I reduce the dose to 5000/day and try to get more sun on a daily basis?

Thank you
JEM
Hi JEM

I would check in with your GP and get further tests done. It is unlikely that a vitamin D level of 75.8ng/ml (189.5nmol/L) is the cause of this hypercalcaemia. This vitamin D level is only a little above the middle of the reference range, and has not been associated with high calcium levels in the literature. My suggestion is that you get checked out carefully for another cause of hypercalcaemia, the most common of which is primary hyperparathyroidism. I don't know your age or sex, but this condition is most common in post-menopausal women, although it can occur at any age, and is usually picked up incidentally when testing calcium levels as it often doesn't cause symptoms. You might require referral to an endocrinologist to get this sorted out. It can be confirmed by finding an elevated level of parathyroid hormone in the blood, and is relatively easily treated surgically if that is what is causing the problem.

In the meantime, a vitamin D level of 75.8ng/ml is not particularly concerning, but your GP can give you advice about that too.

Hope you can get this sorted out quickly.

Be well

George
Thank you very much George for the reply, I will check with my GP the best way to find out the cause and will let you know

Regards
JEM
Hi George,

I hope you can see this message as it would be great to have your feedback. I followed up as per your request with an endocrinologist and run several tests, I’m a male, 33 years old. I didn’t take vitamin d for 10 days and now my calcium levels are within the normal range and he ruled out Hyperparathyroidism

• Calcium: 10.52 mg/dL , 12 days ago it was 11.6 mg/dl
• Albumin: 47g/L
• Corrected Calcium 9.96 mg/dL
• Inorganic Phosphate 1.18 nmol/L
• PTH Intact 28.9 pg/ml

So what else could be the cause of this? It seems that if I take 10000 iU/daily, my calcium levels go up. I’m running a kidney ultrasound and a 24 hours calcium/creatitine clearance/phosphorous tests in 2 days, any other ideas?

Thank you so much!
JEM
Hi JEM

I don't think not taking the vitamin D for 10 days had anything to do with your calcium level. It takes quite a bit longer than that, being a fat-soluble vitamin, to make any difference to levels when you stop taking. I suspect it might just have been laboratory variation in test results, but your doctor is being ultra-cautious in doing these follow up tests, and that is fine. He should be able to provide feedback once the test results are known. The good thing is serious causes have been largely excluded.

Be well

George
5 posts Page 1 of 1